Dolby Pro Logic II and Neo 6 Hookup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregBe, Jul 23, 2003.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I just recently purchased an Onkyo SR600, and I have my DVD player hooked up with Digital Coax. My question is regarding the hook up of Directv. My Directv receiver has both Optical output as well as analog. I believe that Dolby Pro Logic II will work fine through the analog hookup. Is this true? Are there any advantages to going out and purchasing an optical cable? Are there any sources for Directv that are in Dolby Digital? If there are, I am assuming that I would need the optical cable. I don't have any of the premium pay channels (HBO etc), and also never use pay per view. Am I OK with analog, or should I go optical?
    Thanks

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd use the Optical connection. If you don't get a pay channel like HBO or PPV you won't see 5.1 DD from your direcTV. DPLII should work fine for stereo sound through the optical.

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I posted this in another section, but I think it may be more appropriate here. I just purchased an Onkyo 600 receiver, and am wondering if I need to purchase an additional optical cable to go from Directv to the receiver for DPLII or Neo 6. Can I use an extra set of Monster audio cables I have? Does some programming come through in Dolby Digital on Satellite? If so, would that neccessitate the optical cable to make it work? I don't have any premium channels nor do I utilize pay per view.

Thanks

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks,

Sorry about the duplicate post

6. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Since most of my critical listening is through the DVD player, is it ok to go REALLY cheap with the optical cable from the satellite

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks Micheal for the clarification of my original recommendation. I concur completely with your assessment. Man, the moderators on this site really know their stuff! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks Philip,

Just what I wanted to hear [​IMG]

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul