What's new

Dolby Pro Logic II and Neo 6 Hookup (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I just recently purchased an Onkyo SR600, and I have my DVD player hooked up with Digital Coax. My question is regarding the hook up of Directv. My Directv receiver has both Optical output as well as analog. I believe that Dolby Pro Logic II will work fine through the analog hookup. Is this true? Are there any advantages to going out and purchasing an optical cable? Are there any sources for Directv that are in Dolby Digital? If there are, I am assuming that I would need the optical cable. I don't have any of the premium pay channels (HBO etc), and also never use pay per view. Am I OK with analog, or should I go optical?
Thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'd use the Optical connection. If you don't get a pay channel like HBO or PPV you won't see 5.1 DD from your direcTV. DPLII should work fine for stereo sound through the optical.

GregBe

Second Unit
I posted this in another section, but I think it may be more appropriate here. I just purchased an Onkyo 600 receiver, and am wondering if I need to purchase an additional optical cable to go from Directv to the receiver for DPLII or Neo 6. Can I use an extra set of Monster audio cables I have? Does some programming come through in Dolby Digital on Satellite? If so, would that neccessitate the optical cable to make it work? I don't have any premium channels nor do I utilize pay per view.

Thanks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I posted this in another section, but I think it may be more appropriate here.
I've combined your two threads. If you run into another situation where you think your thread belongs in a different forum, just contact a moderator and one of us will move it for you.

To answer your original question: Yes, the DPL2 will work using the analog connection from your DirecTV receiver. But I concur wih Philip's suggestion to use the optical cable. Even though you may not be accessing premium channels (at the moment), some network shows are being broadcast in 5.1. And even if you're only talking about two-channel sources, the optical connection offers an advantage, because with the analog connection, there's a lot of unnecessary signal processing at work.

1. Your DirecTV unit converts a digital audio signal to analog.

2. Then your receiver converts it back to digital to perform DPL2 processing.

3. Then your receiver converts it back to analog so that it can be amplified and sent to your speakers.

With the optical connection, you eliminate steps one and two. I'm a great believer in eliminating extra processing wherever possible.

M.

GregBe

Second Unit
Since most of my critical listening is through the DVD player, is it ok to go REALLY cheap with the optical cable from the satellite

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Micheal for the clarification of my original recommendation. I concur completely with your assessment. Man, the moderators on this site really know their stuff! ;);)
Since most of my critical listening is through the DVD player, is it ok to go REALLY cheap with the optical cable from the satellite
Personally, I would use the absolute cheapest optical cable I could possibly find for this connection if my DirecTV boxes even had an optical output. The stereo signal is compressed with something like MP3 technology, and low-res to boot. My DirecTV boxes are so cheap they're analog output only! :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Man, the moderators on this site really know their stuff!
We have illustrious forebears to live up to. :D

Greg, I agree that there's no reason to splurge on optical cable. Just don't get something that's so flimsy that it's easily damaged. Optical cable doesn't respond well to being bent sharply.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks