What's new

Dolby Pro-Logic A/B speaker problem (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Hi. I recently reconfigured my home theater setup and now I encounter problems which I never had before. My previous setup was as follows:
DVD player to VCR to powered equalizer to Dolby Pro Logic receiver
all via composite connections. On my DPL receiver, I had A and B front speakers playing simultaneously. I would play the movie loud with no problems. My new configuration is as follows:
DVD player to powered equalizer to DPL receiver
all via composite connections and NOT going through the VCR as before. I'll play the movie as loud as before with A/B speakers playing simultaneously and whenever it reaches a loud part in the movie it will automatically cut signal to the speakers, return the signal and then cut it off again; a continuous cycle until the movie has reached a quiet part. If I turn B speakers off, then there is no problem and it won't cut the signal.
This is something I have never encountered before. I'm guessing that the DPL receiver is going into some sort of "Protector" mode or something to keep the speakers from overloading or even blowing, although I had no idea it could do such a thing. Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
By running the two speakers at once, you are overloading the amp. It cannot handle the resistance level that the speakers being run together create. That is why it only does it when they are both on.
Don't you have problems with macrovison running the DVD through the VCR?
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on July 17, 2001 at 03:38 PM]

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Well, we figured out the problem. The reason for the cutting of the signal was that the copper from the - and + wires were touching on one of the B speakers. Running A and B speakers simultaneously does not overload the amp. Receivers are designed for dual L/R front speakers for HT systems. Also, the Equalizer gets the signal before it even reaches the DPL receiver. We don't have problems with Macrovision because we bought the DVD player before all that BS started coming built in DVD players. But we don't do it anymore. The video just goes straight to the TV. Thanks for your replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks