Dolby Headphone: When?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading raves about this tech on the forum and I was wondering if anybody has heard any updates??

2. Jon Shea

Jon Shea Auditioning

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I remember seeing those pretty cheap somewhere recently. $500 is way too much, but I think I remembered something in the $200 range on some website. Maybe not......darn.
    Aaron

4. Jon Shea

Jon Shea Auditioning

Yea.. $500 is waay too much. I'd love to get a set, but I cant part with that much money, even if they are wireless...
    --jon

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

No, the technology I am talking about is Dolby Headphone:
    http://www.dolby.com/dolbyheadphone/
    This tech seems awesome and I was wondering when we would see recievers start to utilize this as well as DTS 24/96 decoding like the Denon 4802

6. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

To my understanding, Dolby Headphone technology isn't an actual headset technology, but rather an algorithm licensed out to makers of decoding hardware. Dolby Headphone is designed to work in conjunction with any headset.
    As of right now, there's really not a lot of products that support Dolby Headphone yet. Most of the products that actually do are software DVD decoders on computers. The only receiver actually listed under Dolby's website is the Marantz PS-17SA.
    ------------------

7. Alan Markow

Alan Markow Agent

Dolby Headphone is available for your PC DVD player using Intervideo's WinDVD software.

8. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

Check out this thread that was started a few days ago - I've made some long replys regarding Dolby Headphone. And yes, it is completey different than that Sony unit. Beleive you me, it is NOT worth any where near $500.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042381.html
    HTH,
    Scott
    >