1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby Headphone available yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Carlson, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Larry Carlson

I've read that this system will recreate (or try to)a fair semblance of surround sound through a regular pair of headphones. Does anyone know if there is any equipment available yet or imminent that has this feature? Thanks.
    Larry

2. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

Dolby Headphone is indeed available right now. I don't personally know of any receiver or pre/pro products that incorporate it, but if you buy the retail version of PowerDVD 3.0 and have a DVD-ROM drive in your computer, you have it.
    Fire up PowerDVD and go to the Audio tab in Configuration. From there you can select Dolby Headphone. Load your favorite DD movie into the DVD-ROM drive, hook your headphones up to your sound card, and voila, simulated 5.1 via headphones.
    I'm sure we'll see it on new receivers and pre/processors in the near future. In the meantime you can see the variety of products that currently support Dolby Headphone here:
    http://www.dolby.com/dolbyheadphone/DH_Products.html
    Enjoy....
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection
    Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

3. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Dale, do you know if that Dolby headphone in powerDVD is the same one as the one in WinDVD? I remember someone posting a real glowing review of dolby headphone and I just havnt gotten such an effect from the Dolby Headphone in WinDVD...

4. Dale_S

Dale_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi Seungsoo,
    Not sure if the WinDVD implementation is the same, but I suspect they are very close. I've also not experienced that true feeling of a 5.1 surround system, but then I don't often use the Dolby Headphone setup. It was just a bonus that I discovered when I upgraded my copy of PowerDVD. I don't own WinDVD so I have no frame of comparison. Maybe someday...
    ------------------
    View My DVD Collection
    Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary