Dolby & DTS from my PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Paul Padilla, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

OK...I've been going nuts. I have a Shuttle XPC SN95G machine hooked up to my plasma. It's not really a dedicated HTPC, but I've tried to make sure it has everything it needs. It absolutely flys in Doom III at full rez.

I'm only getting two channel audio over the optical, or coax digital outputs whether in Doom III or playing a DVD...ripped or otherwise. I'm using no analog connections but no matter what I do my receiver doesn't recognize that there is any multi-channel encoding. The motherboard specs say...

On Board 5.1 Channel AC97 Audio
    Compliant with AC'97 2.2 specifications.
    5.1 channel slot selectable DAC Output for multi-channel applications.

I'm using the Nvidia nForce driver 6.14.457.0. (4.57 looks to be the newest driver) The NV mixer utility info shows that the codec capibilities are "Single AC'97, 6 channels" When I run the speaker setup wizard in NV Mixer, it identifies that there is digital signal, but at the end it says it's only using two channels.

If I was getting no audio over the digital connections I'd almost feel better, but I do get sound...just not Dolby Digital, DTS, or multi channel period. This is the built in sound card but I'm not asking it to do any decoding...just pass the signal to my Denon 3805 and let it handle it.

Any ideas?

2. Paul Padilla

OK...now that I'm really searching I'm starting to get mad. This thread seems to say that DD isn't supported. I was going to submit a question to Shuttle, but they require every bit of information possible before sending a question...serial #....bios version...DNA sequence, etc. I'll have to do that when I get home. I'm going to be ticked if I have to buy a sound card just to pass the DD signal.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That thread may be confusing two things: dynamic encoding of any 5.1 multichannel sound (like from a game) into DD so that it can go through the optical/coax to any DD receiver; and DD/DTS passthrough, which is what you need. It would be really lame to break it on purpose.

What's required is that the player recognize the audio hardware. For example, if you use PowerDVD, it recognizes these, which includes "NVIDIA nForce MCP-D" -- dunno if that's what you have.

4. Paul Padilla

I see what you mean...maybe I wasn't looking at that thread quite right. But still...
    Amen! Passthrough is all I'm looking for...and it is passing something through. The Cyberlink support page looks like it's showing each card/device they officially support, not necessarily the capibilities of Power DVD with particular hardware.

I've used Power DVD...Interactual...Windows Media...and one other that escapes me at the moment. Doom III should be coming over in DD as well, but nope. Not that I want cherubs sneaking up behind me to sound any more real than they already do...but ya know. I finally took a look at T2 Extreme HD and my mouth is totally watering...but how am I going to tolerate watching it without DD?[​IMG]

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

When it says "S/PDIF" for the device, I would guess that means passthrough. There's a dialog box somewhere in PowerDVD that tells you what hardware has been detected; as I recall it lists multichannel and S/PDIF separately. What does it say on your machine?