1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby Digtal not working.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Deric, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Deric

Deric Auditioning

I have my DVD player audio going to my receiver with an Optical Cable. I can't get the receiver to use Dolby Digtal. It will only switch to Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2.

I was wondering is this because of my DVD player? Its a JVC I got a few years ago and the Optical output on the back says PCM/Steam. I went in the dvd settings and selected 5.1, and set everything up on the receiver to 5.1 w/Sub. The receiver is a Sony STR-DA300ES

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Get into the setup menus for the DVD player (not the disc, the player itself) and check the audio options. The Dolby Digital output is probably set to "downconvert" or "pcm"- make sure it is set to BITSTREAM, will solve your problem.

Something similar to this (DTS setup) is discussed in the FAQ AND PRIMER (link in my sig)-- if you're new to HT and HT hardware, I'd strongly recommend reading it.

-V

3. RayM

RayM Agent

Maybe you should go through the menus on your DVD again... on mine there are settings that turn on my Dolby Digital or DTS on and also to give optical signal out.

On your receiver (if there are multiple digital inputs) make sure the optical one you are using is set for your DVD player. Also set your receiver for digital input or digital auto. Hope this helps you.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This is why it's so important to distinguish between a DVD and a DVD player. The kinds of settings listed above are in the player, not on the disc itself.

M.

5. John S

John S Producer

I have been helping a fair amount of people lately update their HT, and to actually start getting HDTV on the HDTV Ready sets they have had for a few years now.

I have yet to find one DVD player that does not have to have DTS/DD and/or their component video and/or their PCM/Bitstream settings enabled yet. To get the best audio/video possible out of them.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

does anyone know why the dvd players don't default to bitstream? seems like they should....

7. Michael Reuben

Initially it was because the vast majority of purchasers did not have Dolby Digital receivers. When players were first released in 1997, there were only a few receivers with DD capability (all of them Pioneer), and most pre/pros with DD capability cost thousands of dollars.

Today it's something of an anachronism, IMO. The same is true for having DTS "off" by default.

M.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ohh..thanks. i always thought dd came first, then dts? guess not... :b

9. Michael Reuben

No, that's correct. DTS hardware took even longer. And, of course, the specs for DTS-on-DVD hadn't even been finalized when the first DVD players went on sale, which is why the first generation of players can't pass a DTS bitstream.

These two digital formats have become so familiar, and the price of decoding hardware has come down so quickly, that people tend to forget just how recently they arrived on the HT scene.

M.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ohh..i get what you're saying now. thanks for the clarification.

11. Deric

Deric Auditioning

I haven't seen the manual to this dvd player for atleast 3 years. There was no "menu" button on the DVD that would take me to a player menu, so thats why I didn't look there first. I just thought it would be set to bitstream by default. Turns out it was set to pcm by default. I had to search online for the old jvc manual, and turns out i had to put in like a 4 punch code to get to the menu. [​IMG]

works fine now [​IMG]

12. John S

John S Producer

Glad you figured it out....
    Those system menus are darn important on DVD players....