What's new

Dolby Digital Sub Cross Question (1 Viewer)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Okay, I have recently talked to a few other guys here which leads me to some questions.
Is the sub line out from a Dolby Digital LFE channel crossed for everything below 80Hz automatically? Does above 80hz data also get sent through the LFE channel?
Does this mean that your sub does not also need to be crossed at 80?
That leads to another question. Obviously if you leave your left and right speakers set to small, it sends everything below 80hz to the sub. Well what if you leave your left and right to LARGE. Does the LFE channel / sub data get sent to the left and right?
I am now confused to how I want my system configured. For the last two years I had my left and rights at large (Paradigm Monitor 7s) and my sub (PS1000) crossed at 80hz.
Now I learned that I may want to set the left and rights to small and turn the cross all the up over 100 on the sub.
I'm not sure what to do. I wish I could contact Marantz to get those questions answered.
I own:
Marantz SR-19 preamped to a carver amp and paradigm cc-350, monitor 7's for speakers.
Any input would be appreciated to shed some light on this.
[Edited last by Robert Ma on August 02, 2001 at 04:44 PM]

Tom Sullivan

Agent
I have a Marantz SR8000, actually I've had three Marantz models. The xover for Marantz receivers is set at 100hz. So if you set your fronts to small, your sub will be getting everything at 100hz's and down. I set my fronts to small. For me it sounds better this way, even though I have High quality fronts that go down to 30hz's.
Also you put your subs crossover to max.
If you want to get your sub to pick up a lower crossover level. You'll hv to run speaker wire off your fronts.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Wow 100hz ! They should give you an option to set it on the receiver to 80 or 100. I think the Pioneer Elites let you do that.
That explains the bing change opening my sub cross up from 80.
Thanks for the info.
------------------
Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks