Dolby Digital Signal Like This?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Dec 30, 2001.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Please read and provide feedback. Much thanks in advance. I got a Hughes DirecTivo receiver for Christmas and hooked it up. Much to my delight it comes with an optical output for programs with DD. I hooked it up to my audio receiver and got no sound. I checked everything and found that it could only be the Hughes receiver. It was like it wasn't putting out a signal. I called Hughes and their tech rep said that that output is not used yet. it is just there for future use. He said that the DirecTivo receiver decodes the DD signal already and will send it to my audio receiver through my RCA outs. So I got to my audio receiver (Onkyo) and set up the Video 1 to receive through COAX1 input and to detect signal AUTO. Should this work???? Please HELP!!!

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

The RCA jacks provide analog output, not digital. Are you sure the optical input on your receiver is assigned to the input source you selected? Is there red light coming from the end of the optical cable that plugs into the receiver?

3. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

When I hook up the optical cable to the Tivo, there is the signature red light and the audio receiver is set to pick up and optical signal it, but there is no signal coming to my audio receiver. He said that the signal is decoded in the Tivo and sent out through the RCA cables. It did not sound right to me, that's why I'm running by the HTFers. He said the optical output does not function, they put it on there for possible use in the future.

4. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Okay, new breakthrough. This whole time I was routing both my DVD player optical output and the Tivo's optical output through an optical switcher. The DVD signal would pass through the switcher but not the Tivo signal. I plugged the Tivo straight into the audio receiver and it worked. So the Tivo does put out a digital signal, but it won't pass through the switcher, just straight into the receiver. I checked all three inputs of the switcher with my DVD signal and they worked fine. But not the Tivo signal. What the hell????[​IMG] Any help please. Thanks....

5. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Anyone???

6. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Please???