What's new

Dolby Digital Question (1 Viewer)

JeffNelson

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff nelson
I just bought a home theater system (onkyo TXSR805S) and in my discovery of setting everything up through HDMI I noticed that my DVD player does not give me Dolby Digital using HDMI (here is the player..complete specs). However If I hook it up using coax it gives me dolby digital, but I lose the great video quality of HDMI.

At first my thoughts are that the player doesn't send dolby over hdmi only coax. Maybe someone can help me understand this better.

Is there a way to use coax for audio only and HDMI for video? Conventional wisdom (and trial and error) tell me that the receiver will disable coax when the input is set to HDMI (since it is audio and video) for the player. My other option is to use coax and svideo for the video input, but the quality is nothing compared to HDMI.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Based on my quick read of the spec's of your DVD player, I see no reason that it would not pass DD or DTS via HDMI. The whole reason for HDMI is that it can pass both video and audio digital information vs. the older "DVI" connector, which is video only. I think that you have a setup problem somewhere.

As for you last question, yes, you can send the video via HDMI and audio via coax although like I mentioned above, I see no reason you should have to.

JeffNelson

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff nelson

Thanks I'll look into the setup of the DVD player and see if I am missing something. If, for some reason, I can't get it working how would I setup the coax option? When I tried doing this last night when I set the input on the receiver for the DVD player to HDMI then the audio from the coax would "turn off" and switch to the HDMI audio source.

JeffNelson

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff nelson
Ignore my last post, steve. I found another thread that talks about how to achieve what I was looking for from the coax and HDMI (here). Thanks for the help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As Steve mentioned, you should be able to get DD/DTS thru hdmi from your Pioneer player. Try going into the dvd players audio setup menu and change "HDMI Out" from LPCM to "Auto".

You may have to go into the 805's menu and select hdmi for audio as well.

JeffNelson

Auditioning
Real Name
jeff nelson
That was my problem...Switching it to AUTO fixed everything. It sucks being ignorant of all this audio / video components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks