Dolby Digital Problem with the Denon 3803 (Help!)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John_Griff, Apr 26, 2004.

1. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

I can't get dolby digital to play through my Denon 3803. The Dolby light on the reciver indicates that it is getting the signal from my XBOX, but when I switch over to DD mode using the right knob, there is no sound. Am I doing something wrong?? Is there a trick out there?? THANKS in advance.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    My friend's 2803 is set on 7 ch. stereo, when it's playing DD. Try that setting and see how it sounds.

3. John_Griff

I'll try that. I've never seen an option for 7.1 on mine, but will look into it again tonight. Thanks for the response.

4. Ed Moxley

Ed
    It didn't say 7.1............. it says 7 ch. stereo. Not familiar with the 3803. Should be about the same though. The small knob on the right side that toggles through all the stuff (can't remember what all is there).

5. John_Griff

There is a 5 ch. option, then DTS, 6.1, Dolby Digital, then comes all the widescreen, concert hall, etc.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

If you've checked all of the settings on both the X-Box and the receiver (along with the cable that you're using), and nothing looks wrong, then I'd try the processor reset routine on the 3803. It's shown toward the back of the manual and it can cure some things like this. Be aware that the reset puts things back to the default out-of-the-box settings. Tuner presets, tone control settings, level settings, digital input settings and so forth will all need to be gone over again.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

7 channel stereo is NOT dolby digital. and neither is 5 channel stereo, for that matter.

8. John_Griff

I did this, still no dice. I even tried assigning it to different video part (like V. Aux and DVD), still no dice. That dolby digital indicator light is teasing me!

9. Ed Moxley

Ed

You're right........ That may be what's up when he's playing music. Can't remember.....
    Denons have a language all their own. Example: instead of multi-channel, they call it EXT. IN. Best example I can think of. It's late.........
    John.... it's bound to be something just isn't set quite right in the setup of the receiver. Are you using the dvd input on the receiver, from the Xbox? The digital outputs are set to bitstream, instead of PCM? The input of the receiver is enabled, and set for digital? You using digital coax or optical cable? It's probably something simple.........

10. John_Griff

I'm using optical cable. I'll look at the other things you mentioned tonight. Thanks for the response.

11. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes, you're doing something wrong. the xbox's connection to the receiver is fine and it is detecting a dd signal. there's some other receiver setting that's incorrect probably.

btw, how do you have the audio connected otherwise?

12. John_Griff

An optical cable from the Xbox to "optical 1". I also have the red and white audio plugged into the "V. Aux" slot for games that aren't Dolby Digital.