dolby digital preference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by itai, Aug 6, 2002.

1. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

why is it that when a dvd with just 2ch (stereo) audio is playing, i cant choose dts-neo6?, the reciever defaults to prologic and that's that.
    is it because the sound engineers closed it with a dolby codec or something? becuase audio cd desnt have that preference.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I noticed the same thing. My guess is when you have a stereo track on a DVD, it is typically DOLBY stereo, which is why certain modes cannot be selected. If your CD player is hooked up via analog, there is nothing to setup to even give you selections.

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Itai,

Yes, the problem is that the digital audio bitstream coming from the DVD is Dolby Digital 2.0 encoded. The DSP chip in your receiver is spinning its wheels running the code that does Dolby decoding and can't apply any other DSP options.

When playing 2-channel DVDs, you might consider changing the DVD player's internal audio output option so that it produces PCM (CD digital format) audio. Your receiver should be willing to manipulate a PCM signal in many ways. Most DVD players include PCM as a a digital output option in order to be compatible with older stereo receivers.

Of course, you should have the DVD player's analog audio outputs connected to one of your receiver's stereo inputs, too. Then you can apply whatever DSP options are available for analog inputs.

I hope this helps a little.

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

What kind of receiver do you guys have? I have the Pioneer VSX-49TX and I can select DTS Neo:6 with a Dolby 2.0 source I tested it with "Forbidden Planet." everything works fine for me.

Daniel Smith