Dolby Digital playback problems

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shane G, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Shane G

Shane G Agent

I've just put together a new computer, and one of the features I would like to use it for is a second home theater to get the kids out of the living room when entertaining friends etc.

I've got an Intel Pentium 4 motherboard based system with an ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 video card and a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinium eX sound card.

I am using Windows 98 SE operating system, and wondering if this is the root of my problems.
    Does Windows 98SE support Dolby Digital playback? Or will I have to get Windows XP?

Any insight as to how to correct this problem will be greatly appreciated.

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It would help if you describe the problem in more detail [​IMG] No sound or stuttering? What have you tried to diagnose the problem?

DD support is not built into the OS (yet); it might work with 98. It's probably more a matter of the player supporting the particular sound hardware. What player are you using?

//Ken

3. Shane G

Shane G Agent

I've got stereo sound, and I've tried engaging the AC-3 playback option and prologic in the Creative Soundcard's system settings.
    Everything is hooked up correctly and I get the correct sound located in the correct speaker (Monsoon MH-505 5.1 speaker system). The Creative Diagnostic checks everything as correct.
    I am using an onboard DVD-rom, the system settings calls it an "JLMS DVD-Rom LTD-166S (I think it a Liteon)" everything in the system settings seems ok.

The DVD-player software is the one provided with the ATI All-in-Wonder 7500. I've also tried the "Interactual Player" and again only recieve a stereo signal.

The Creative Audigy came with a DVD-software player "called PowerDVD XP" by Cyberlink. I attempted to install this program, but it seemed to conflict with the ATI DVD-player. So, I unistalled it.

So, I'm not sure if its Windows 98 SE, the DVD-player software, or something not set right on the Soundcards system settings, or some other incompatibility issue between the All-in-Wonder 7500 and the Audigy 2 Platinum eX?

Need any more details?

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Well, I am perplexed. The title said Dolby Digital playback problem, but the only thing I got from the first post was "Does Windows 98SE support Dolby Digital Playback", there's no description on what the problem is (no sound? bad sound? sound on some speakers and not others?? system freeze??...).
    The followup post said the right sound is coming out of the right speaker, everything is connected correctly, and the Creative diagnostics said everything is good.
    So, as near as I can tell, the right sound is coming out of the right speaker, the diagnostics said no problem, what's not working??? What am I missing here?

5. Shane G

Shane G Agent

When playing DVD's I am NOT getting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. I get stereo surround ONLY, or I can engage simulated surround, which is a far cry from true 5.1

Even thought the system diagnosis says everything is connected OK, I still am not getting 5.1 surround with DVD playback.

I think I will test out Creatives customer support, maybe I can get something from them? They might have a driver update for Windows 98 SE.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I'd bet the ATI player only outputs Dolby Digital through the S/PDIF output on the ATI card, and doesn't work with the Audigy. I had a similar problem with the ATI player and an Radeon 8500 working with the digital out with C-Media sound.

Definitely try the PowerDVD that came with the Audigy. I use that instead of the ATI player; the Dolby Digital works, and it has more features anyway.

//Ken

7. Shane G

Shane G Agent

Ken;
    I reinstalled the PowerDVD player, this time I opened up that program before the ATI DVD player opened automatically upon sensing a DVD was put in the DVDrom.

I went to the audio settings for the powerDVD, set AC-3 playback, and voila Dolby Digital 5.1 surround!

Seems to work great so far! [​IMG]

Well, thanks for the push to use the PowerDVD player Ken, it does have lots of great features and options. Definitely beats out the ATI player. Glad I looked into it again.

One more question about the PowerDVD; When it starts up, it wants to reconfigure the Monitor/screen settings to 1026xwhatever. Does this option only work for DVD playback, and then revert back to the previous setting after the movie is over?
    I just don't want to fart around with the screen settings after every movie.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Not sure; I'm guessing it leaves it, because you can close the program at any time, and unlike a game, it's intended to be run in both a window and full-screen, and switching between the two does not change the video mode.

Are you using a less popular resolution like 1152x864? You might be able to stick with your current resolution by disabling hardware acceleration during playback (under Configuration | Video?). However, that might affect video quality, and will definitely increase CPU utilization. Of course, if you're not doing anything else while watching the DVD, you'll probably be OK.

Also, there should be some way to stop the ATI player from auto-loading. Mine doesn't any more.

//Ken