Dolby Digital Mono 1.0

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by jim.vaccaro, Jul 17, 2005.

1. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

All of the Dolby Digital Mono sources I have are 2.0 (Conan the Barbarian and Stand By Me DVDs are two examples) which, naturally, ouput mono sound using the two front speakers.

So, if DD 2.0 Mono outputs on two speakers, DD 1.0 Mono only output on one speaker?

2. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

Any mono signal, be it 2.0 or 1.0 should come through the center speaker on a multi channel set up. Using any of the following modes PL, PLII, PLIIx, or Neo 6:Cinema will send the sound through the center speaker. The only way I know of to send the signal through both speakers is to set the receiver in Stereo mode, thus sending the sound in to the Left/Right channels.

Hope that explains it Jim.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The number of speakers will depend on your receiver or processor, and how it's set. However, DD 2.0 Mono has 2 channels of sound (which are identical) and DD 1.0 Mono has 1 channel of sound.

M.

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Ah, thanks guys. When I watch DD 2.0 Mono movies, I turn off surround sound and leave the receiver in regular old stereo mode to get sound from the two fronts instead of the center channel. From your responses, I have gathered that I can do the same with DD 1.o Mono.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Yes. In essence, DD-1.0 is feeding center channel only, and if the processing is off, it'll be split to L and R.

Leo

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I've actually never seen a DD 1.0 soundtrack. Have any of you?

If there's no processing, DD 1.0 will only be sent to the center channel. If there's no processing, DD 2.0 will go to the left and right channels.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I commented on this when I reviewed the Criterion Videodrome. I believe all or most of Criterion's mono tracks are encoded as DD 1.0. There are other examples, but none that immediately springs to mind.

M.

8. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

Them!, The Thing from Another World, The Omega Man & Soylent Green to name a few. Warner Bros seems to also use 1.0 on most of their mono films besides Criterion.

9. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

With monaural audio, why use Dolby Digital AC-3? Sure, it saves bitrate, but even PCM mono takes up very little overhead, and I'm not sanguine about the quality loss. Admittedly most film monaural soundtracks are not that great to begin with, but does that really justify such a shabby treatment?

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Criterion says

What's the bitrate for PCM mono? 754 kb/s?

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Could be anything, depending on the sampling format. For instance, the EBU's "low" standard is 14 bits at 32 kHz, which gives an audio datarate of 448 kbps. On the other hand, the audio spec for DVD would support [I think] 24 bits 192 kHz, or 4.6 Mbps. 16/48 would be enough for most any mono soundtrack, though, 768 kbps.
    Actually, AC-3 mono would be fine if the datarate were high enough -- at the standard 384 kbps rate for 5.1 channel, it's supposed to be indistinguishable from the 20/48 master -- but they rarely allot more than the 192 kbps from the AC-2 spec. If you had a satellite box marked "Dolby System" back in the analog days, that was AC-2.