Dolby digital how do you know?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay, I have a Dircetv receiver that has and optical digital output for Dolby Digital. I have not yet hooked it up to my main reciever. My question is, when I do hook it up, will all the sound from my Directv go through that optical output or will I still need to have my analog audio cables hooked up as well? Also, how do you know if you are gettin Dolby Digital? My main receiver has an auto mode that detects Dolby Digital and DTS on dvd's, will it do the same with Directv signals?
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

2. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Yes, all of the sound wether or not it is DD will pass from the DirectTV receiver to your A/V Receiver using the Optical cable. The "Auto detect mode will determine if the signal it is getting is Mono, PCM, DD1.0 through DD5.1 or DTS and decode it and send the appropriate signals to the speakers you have setup. You do need to go into the setup menu on your A/V receiver and tell it what speakers you have (center, surrounds, subwoofer, etc.) and set the audio input to Optical. If it is set to analog, you won't get any sound unless you have analog cables hooked up and vice-versa.
    Feel free to email me with any further questions. It would also help if you would list the specific equipment you are working with and then we can give you very specific answers; like which buttons to push to get to a specific setup menu and what options are available to you.
    Good luck.

3. Michael Jsmith

I run the optical cable from the sat box to the back of my Sony receiver, and I get great sound even without DD. I don't have any other audio cables connected. My Sony receiver has a blue indicator that lights up when it's getting a 5.1 signal. For regular viewing that's not DD, I just choose one of the many sound fields my reciever offers--it kind of simulates 5.1, but obviously not near as good. But, sounds a hell of a lot better than the TV speakers.
    ------------------
    Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thank you very much Frederick and Michael, I am using a Marantz SR-7000 receiver which is hooked up to a 5.1 surround system. I am using an RCA directv Dolby Digital receiver. So it sounds like all I need to do is unhook my analog audio cables and just hook up one optical cable for all my sound, whether it be Dolby Digital or not. And then I just need to set my receiver to digital instead of analog. I will still be able to listen to Pro logic mode for non digital broadcasts right? Basically I want to be able to use all the surround modes my receiver has. Mainly, Pro Logic, stereo, 5 channel stereo and Dolby digital.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

5. Michael Jsmith

You got it! Just switch your receiver to digital, hook up your Toslink cable, and you'll be able to use all the modes/sound fields of your receiver. At least, that's how mine works. good luck. mike
    ------------------
    Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thanks Michael! I'll let you know how it works out tomorrow.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

7. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Yes, that should work...it works like a champ on the Marantz SR-8000.
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

8. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

I might be wrong on this (my system will be installed next week) but the one time you might want analog cables hooked up is to record on a VCR. I'm going by the instruction book on my mitsubishi receivers which have digital coax and optical outputs. I got the impression that the VCR wants the receiver to present it with analog for the audio.