Dolby Digital HDTV Audio from a Pioneer Plasma?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Dickinson, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Greg Dickinson

Greg Dickinson Auditioning

Just speccing up a Pioneer-based system (4330HD Plasma, DV656A Multi-Region DVD, HTP-220-S/K Amp / Speaker Package - do you rate this kit?) and I can't see how the amp will take the digital audio from the HDTV (coax digital cable will allow this from the DVD to the amp OK). Do I need to look at an amp with a component input (and not just Digital coax and fibre) to get this set up?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m not completely sure about your question, but basically the way to get 5.1 audio from broadcast signals to take the output from your satellite, OTA or cable tuner(s) and run it directly to your amplifer (or pre-amp). While I don’t know the specs on your equipment, most receivers or pre amps, allow for multiple 5.1 inputs (mine has three (two optical and one digital coax) and it is reasonably low-end).

Most displays (TVs) don’t include DD 5.1 decoding, so it is best to get your audio signal directly to your audio gear.

Component inputs are for video only and have nothing to do with audio.

I don’t know the exact specs on the plasma display, but most displays of this type need an external tuner in any case, so you will need an external HD tuner in any case. Of course, ymmv.