Dolby Digital for DSS Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisClearman, Feb 20, 2003.

1. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

I have a DTS compatible receiver that accepts Optical Digital Audio Input.

I am considering getting a DSS receiver that has Optical Digital Output.

I know that only some channels actually broadcast in Dolby (HBO, Showtime, some preview channels, and some pay per view).

My question is, if I have my receiver on Auto Decode what format am I going to be getting for most regular channels? 2 Ch Stereo? Pro Logic Surround?

I don't like watching TV in 2 Ch stereo, so it will be a pain to switch my receiver from Auto Decode to a Surround Sound Field and vice versa.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Mine pretty much defaults to standard dolby surround.

Hope this helps.

3. ChrisClearman

That does help.

I would be pleased if non Dolby programming came through as Standard 4 or 5 channel surround instead of 2 ch stereo (which is what I assumed happned). Thanks!

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

it will come through probably as 2 channel stereo however you can use DPL/DPL2 and endless other matrix formats on it to get surround off the content.

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

My Sony preamp displays it as "Linear PCM" which pretty much means 2ch stereo. I second DPL/DPLII recommendation.

6. ChrisClearman

Dangit! I don't want to have to go in and change the sound field when I'm on those channels (i.e. tell my processor to take the 2 Ch stereo and create Surround Sound). I just want to leave it on Auto Decode from the Optical Input....wish there was a way for my processor to default to surround if it was only getting passed a 2 Ch signal....

7. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

My receiver allows me to use different 'soundfields' for each input. I use auto for my DVD input and CD input and Dolby for my DSS input. The digital signal coming in from my dish is 2-channel(most of the time), which is then turned into Dolby Pro-Logic. If it is 5.1 then the reciever knows it and decodes it as Dolby Digital 5.1. The only time I have to change my DSS 'soundfield' is when I listen to a music channel and want 2-channel sound, as music sounds terrible in Pro-Logic.
    Maybe your processor will allow you to do it this way.

Regards
    KrisM

8. ChrisClearman

Hmmmm, maybe. Each input can have a preset sound field, that's what I do now. Maybe I can put it on Pro Logic and it will override when it's 5.1....I can only hope.

Thanks for the input guys.

9. ChrisClearman

This sounds promising:

Normal Surround: Software with multi channel surround audio signals is played according to the way it was recorded. Software with 2 channel audio signals is decoded with Dolby Pro Logic to create surround effects.

10. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

What are you using for a processor? Maybe somebody with the same unit can help you out.
    With my reciever(a Marantz) I leave the DSS input on Dolby. It is not specifically Pro-Logic or Dolby Digital 5.1. If it is 5.1 then that is how it is decoded. If it is 2-channel it uses Pro-Logic.

Regards
    KrisM

11. ChrisClearman

I have a Sony DB930.

I checked it out w/ X-Box and Optical Out. I can set it on Normal Surround and when the source is DTS input it overrides the surround processing. Sweet. When the input is 2 channel the processor goes ahead and turns it into normal surround.

So it should be basically what I want...my only complaint is that I'll still have to change the sound field from Normal Surround to Auto Format (or 2 Ch) when I'm on a DSS Music station. You can NOT listen to music in surround mode.

I wish they would just have every channel with the audio encoded in the proper channels.

12. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

yeah with my Yamaha I leave it in DPLII on my digital cable with auto detect source in. It plays DPLII for any 2 channel content I'm watching and automatically switchs into normal 5.1 when it is available.