dolby digital & dts signal processing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyHangartner, Jul 18, 2002.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

I have a panasonic rp91 dvd that is equipped with d/d & dts. Are these processed through the digital out or the analog out? If it is hooked to a pre processor (denon) that is equipped with the same, which one does the processing? Are the decoder chips the same across the board basically? Everyone refers to the video processing or sound fields provided by the different manufacturers, but not much about this subject. For instance, why not skip the denon, use a ICBM (outlaw) for bass management and the TAP9000es active for the volume, and go right to the amps (for 5.1) and skip all the other circuitry that is the 'sound degrade'in 2 channel on a pre/pro?
    just wondering!
    thanks as always
    andy

2. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

This is a FAQ, try the Basics forum.

3. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

mark,
    I did find the FAQ area about the processing part, but I guess I'll have to try it out. I want to see if the sound decoder is better in the receiver or the RP91. As I stated I don't see much about this, everyone talks about the video section. Also how weak their bass management is and that the outlaw beats everything else in the price range, so why not use one. As far as cost,I didn't feel $400 was too pricey. The sound degradation I was referring to is that in the separation of HT and two channel, most recommend a preamp (TAP9000) to keep the signal out of the processor. So why not limit the HT signals path also? Use the decoder in the player and a preamp right to the amps. The rp91 does have a bass redirection circuit also, but for dvd-a I was looking toward the outlaw anyway.
    thnx for your input
    andy