What's new

Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, and the Denon 2802 (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
roger - you above guess are, in fact, correct. i've got the DVD player running S-Video to the Receiver. then I have the Receiver running S-Video to the TV. then i have a normal RCA cable running the TV audio into the Receiver. the cable outlet goes from the wall to the television.

-tv doesn't have two sets of line outputs
-the tv menu is set to "stereo"
-i'm going to call the cable company today and make sure they broadcast in stereo.

also - is it weird that if i want to bring up the speaker configuration screen, or the cinema/music mode screen, or anything like that...i have to have the DVD player on and i have to be on the "s-video channel?" basically, if i hit "system setup" while watching tv, i see nothing. i'll have to flip it to "input 1" in order to see a picture. does that mean something might be wrong?

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator

well, i tried switching to DPL2 MUSIC today and it seemed to work. music came out of the Center and both mains. nothing from the surrounds, but that may have been because the movie didn't call for it at the time that i was testing. i'll check it out more later on.

i wonder why it won't work in Cinema mode, but it will with the Music mode. it works fine in Cinema mode for DVDs....

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Music mode spreads the C signal to L/R. The Center Width adjustment controls how much, and it is in the middle setting. So you are still only getting a mono signal into the AV decoder. Until the reason for that if found and corrected, your only source of surround sound is by discs in the DVD/CD player.

It is not terribly weird. The AV receiver is generating the on-screen text that feeds the TV, and in order to sync the internal video generator, it likes a video source to be active. So you need to turn on the DVD player and select it to establish the video clock reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks