What's new

Dolby Digital, Centre Channel Faults (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Hi All,

Hope it's okay to post this on the hardware forum. I have no idea what's causing my problems, it might be the player, the amp, the disc... help!

I've been experiencing problems with the dialogue channel of a few Dolby Digital soundtracks. My most recent experience came with R1 "Innerspace".

The centre channel crackles everytime somebody speaks. It sounds so bad - and is so distracting - that I'm forced to listen to the naff old Dolby Surround track. I experienced a similar problem on R1 "Superman: The Movie".

Very few people seem to have notived this fault. But I've read enough reports to know that it's quite a widespread issue.

Is it the disc? Is it the amp (I'm using a Yamaha DSP-A1)? Is it the player (I'm using a Sony DVP S-7700)? Is it the speaker (reasonably large set-top Mission), is it the cable (not especially expensive, but not cheap either) or is it a problem with DD5.1 coding?

And is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!

John

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Set your amp to phantom centre and see if the crackling persists. With no centre channel, that would be a start...Good luck!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It's not a hardware issue,nor a DD.
What you hear most of the time is "digital clipping",but since this is an older movie,my guess is is that the clipping probably occured at the original recording or later on,at the mastering process.
Either way it's neither your equipment nor the DD's fault,however they could have messed this up at the "remastering" for this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks