Dolby Digital Audio from a HDTV Plasma?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Dickinson, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Greg Dickinson

Greg Dickinson Auditioning

Just speccing up a Pioneer-based system (4330HD Plasma, DV656A Multi-Region DVD, HTP-220-S/K Amp / Speaker Package - do you rate this kit?) and I can't see how the amp will take the digital audio from the HDTV (coax digital cable will allow this from the DVD to the amp OK). Do I need to look at an amp with a component input to get this set up?

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Greg,

The "media receiver" that comes with the 4330 Plasma does NOT have an ATSC tuner. You'll still have to buy a separate tuner for HD broadcasts. Also, the "media receiver" has a "D-Sub 15 input for Video HD Input." IIRC, the only unit that has a 15pin output for HD is the RCA unit...though it has been awhile since I was into HD so I'm not up on all the current models.

Anyway, this additional tuner will have the necessary digital output to go to your receiver.

3. Greg Dickinson

Greg Dickinson Auditioning

Thanks Dan, makes sense now I think. I've found on the Bestbuy website a Samsung DIRECTV/HDTV Receiver with DVI, RGB and Dolby Digital Output. The DVI is 15 pin which seems to match. Is DirecTV a good service (I'm an ignorant Brit..It's Sky TV or nothing over here!)? Presumably it shows all the stations with HDTV compatible broadcasts?

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Greg,

Are you IN Britain or just from there? I'm not sure how DirecTV would work overseas to tell you the truth.

Here DirecTV is not too bad. I like it anyway. Also, I don't think DirecTV has HD on major Networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, etc...only HBO, Showtime and Discovery maybe? But the unit will probably tune to the channels as long as you have an regular terrestrial antenna.

I haven't really been able to even think about HDTV so I don't know too much about the current HD lineup or the products available such as tuners.