Dolby Digital and DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenjaminA, Mar 13, 2002.

1. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I have an avr-2802 and I use a playstation 2 as a dvd player. I notice that the lights on the receiver that tell you if it is receiving a DTS or Dolby Digital signal never come on. I used the search function on the forum to find an answer but only confused myself even more. I have the DD and Dts turned on in the playstation 2 and I am using the red white and yellow rca hookups to connect the ps2 to the receiver. I have these 3 hookups connected to the back of the receiver where it says DVD. On the receiver I have the input mode set to auto. Are these cords that came with the ps2 digital coax cables or just rca cables? Do I need to forget these cables and get an optical cable to run between the ps2 and receiver? If I do this how do I run the video from the ps2 to the receiver? These are probably pretty dumb questions but I am very confused on this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Ben, you need either an optical or coaxial (if the ps2 has one) connection from the ps2 to the denon to pass a 5.1 signal. The RCA leads you are currently using will only carry a 2 channel signal. The yellow RCA carries the video signal. Dont disconnect the RCA leads, you might need them to play games.

Leave the input mode set to auto and it should default to dd/dts when the optical/coax lead is in place.

Harry.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

The PS2 has an OPTICAL output. Connect that to your receiver. You still use the rcas to connect your video to your TV. Make sure you assign the optical input on your receiver. Do a search for posts under my name, I went through this same thing a couple months back....

Just a note: most (if not all) games that say they are DD have limited DD, usually just in the cut scenes or whatever. The rest of the game will be in DPL.

5. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

Thanks alot, I will go pick up a optical cable.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Mr. BenjaminA,

I would like to remind you that when you get your fiber-optic (aka: optical, Toslink) cable: Be sure to remove the clear plastic caps from the ends. Nobody told me about this before I had to have my DVD-player repaired for emergency safty-cap removal. I just assumed that the "complex technological nature" of fiberoptics required a tight-fit.

(No, There were no "please remove safety caps" directions or warnings on the optical cable package).

I feel so abysmally stupid sometimes:b

7. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

Yeah thanks Garrett, the cable I got had a warning on it. If it didn't I would have probably tried to leave them on.

Thanks again

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

This thread brings up a question I've had for awhile. I use an old "video" RCA (slighly larger than normal, looks somehow shielded) cord for my digital coax. It works fine, as far as I know. Is a digital coax connection a "all or nothing" connection, meaning if it works, its golden, or is it similar to speaker wire?

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Dave Schofield

Thanks Vince, that'll stop my thoughts of buying one of those spiffy and expensive "Digital Coax Cables at the local dealer [​IMG]
    Say, Benjamin, where in Iowa are you from?

11. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

Dave, I am from Oskaloosa, but right now I am up in Ames going to Iowa State. Next week will be spring break and I can get out of my dorm for a week.

Ben

12. Dave Schofield

Iowa State, boo!
    You probably guessed I'm a UI student... [​IMG]