Dolby Digital and DPLII question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Niel_JL, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Niel_JL

Niel_JL Stunt Coordinator

Just hooked up my onkyo 500 with the nsp1's. They sound great!! I already tried out a few things. DTS sounds very sweet. The receiver recognizes the signal right away and switches to DTS mode. However, when I watch a DVD with dolby digital, both the DD mode and DPLII modes are lit. Is there any reason for that? I have the receiver set to auto so I'm not sure how DPLII gets activated. Secondly, when I watch either the satellite or a VHS tape, DPLII mode is activated but I only hear sound coming out of the center channel. The only way for me to listen to sat and VHS in surround is to play them in all channel stereo mode and not DPLII. I thought DPLII was supposed to mimick surround sound from 2 channel sources??
    If anybody could shed some light on these two questions that would be great.
    Thanks
    JL

2. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

If the sound from your vcr and satellite is coming
    only from the center channel in DPLII, it is because the signal is mono. Check your cables and connections.
    If both the DD and DPLII indicator are lit at the same time,
    I think it is because the signal in DD is in a 2.0 format.
    Check the set up of your DVD player for the audio output or
    the languages menu of the discs you are playing to be
    sure to select the 5.1 format.

3. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Just to add to this - most of the signal in typical material comes from the centre channel in DPLII mode. Typcial broadcasts are mostly monophonic (L&R signals very similar) and DPLII redirects those to the centre. The L&R and surround channels are quite low level, but the effect is very good.

Watching the World Cup, for example, the commentary comes from the TV and the crowd is all around.

I can't add any more than Niel_JL on why both indicators are lit, though. Is the DVD player connected only via a digital connection, or do you have both digital and analogue connections?

4. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

One other point, if the satellite receiver has a volume control make sure it is set high on the dial.

My PLII only works with my cable box if the volume on the cable box is near the top of the scale.

Many channels broadcast in mono as said before, only stereo broadcast work in PLII