Dolby Digital and Columbia Pictures DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan Andersson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson Auditioning

I have a major problem with every Columbia Picture's DVD I have used. My DVD player (Pioneer DV-525) indicates that it is passing a DD signal (the DD flag on the display is on). My receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-24THX) is decoding the signal as Pro-Logic. This ONLY happens with Columbia DVD's (Four Weddings and a Funeral, The Wedding Planner etc.) Any other DVD is decoded correctly!!!
    WHY?!
    Jan
    ------------------
    "Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling"
    -August Strindberg

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Although this should be moved to the Software forum I'll address your issue.
    The reason that is the case is that Columbia DVD's default to DD 2.0 and you must use your dvd player remote to select the 5.1 track manually. I have an audio button on my Sony so its quite simple but you may have to use the menu usually in the languages section to select the 5.1 track
    Cheers
    Shane

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Shane is correct, but it should be noted that Four Weddings and a Funeral isn't a Columbia DVD. There were two versions released: one by Polygram and one by MGM. The Polygram version doesn't have a 5.1 track, and I don't believe the MGM does either. The soundtrack is DD 2.0, and that is properly decoded as ProLogic.
    It's a common error to assume that anything labeled "Dolby Digital" is 5.1. In fact, Dolby Digital can be anything from 1.0 to 5.1.
    M.

4. Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson Auditioning

Thanks!
    Sorry about the posting locations (thought that since I had a problem between the DVD and the received it belonged in hardware). Yes, it's of course MGM. The MGM lion is in 5.1, the menu is in 5.1, but the movie is "only" in DD 2.0... That so no fun! Learned a lesson though...
    Jan