Dolby Digital 5.1 and digital cable boxes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelMOS, Jan 25, 2003.

1. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

Do digital cable boxes broadcast DD 5.1 sound? I have one and the most i have seen is DD 2.0. Is it only with movie channels? Any other channels? I read that this year the Super Bowl will be broadcasted in DD 5.1 and am wondering if i can get that. I dont think i can because it seems that not all the channels on digital cable are broadcasted digitally(all the basic cable channels). I would switch to satellite but i have too many tvs.

anyone here have adelphia digital cable with Scientific Atlanta 3100?

2. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

I have Adelphia with a SA-3000 digital cable box.

If you go to Adelphia's site you can see what channels are broadcasted digitally in your area. Adelphia's channel lineup

I've been unhappy with the amount of 5.1 programming as well. PPV channels are always 5.1 but aside from those there are no other "full time" 5.1 channels available. Even the premium channels vary based on the movie being shown.

Unfortunately since only channels above 100 are digital anything below is essentially regular cable. This includes all network broadcasts such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc.

Makes me miss my Direct TV setup that I had before I moved last year. I'm seriously thinking of switching back.

-Jeramy

3. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

i would like to switch but its not really possible. There are about 5 tvs in the house. only 2 would need directv and the others would need basic channels because my dad records alot off the tv for school. So we would have to order directtv with local channels and basic cable and all that stuff adds up. Another annoying thing about switching is that i would only get 1 regional sports channel but here in new england there are 2, Fox sports net and NESN. Fox carries celtics games and NESN carries bruins games.

BTW, do you know if adelphia offers PVR in your area?