What's new

dolby digital 3/2 (1 Viewer)

My reciever has been saying Dolby Digital 3/2 when a disc is first put in, did I accidently do something to the settings? I remember it saying something else.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does it do this during the movie also, or does it switch to 5.1? If not, then something is not right (assuming you are using a digital connection).

If you are talking about during the inital startup screens or menus with DVDs, that is normal, since I can't think of any discs with 5.1 menus (there may be some, but I can't think of any). So when the menu comes up with Dolby stereo, the receiver SHOULD display 3/2.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So when the menu comes up with Dolby stereo, the receiver SHOULD display 3/2.
Not necessarily. Some receivers and pre/pros use "3/2" to indicate three front channels and two back channels. The LFE is then indicated by ".1" -- as in 3/2.1.

Dan, it might help if you would identify your receiver.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Does the manual say anything about display information? Are there options that can be set?

I've never used Sony receivers, but there are a lot of people here who have them. Maybe someone will chime in.

M.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My receiver displays the number of speakers present in the encoded material on the front panel, but it also displays the type of signal when it is detected. My second receiver always says AC3 3/2 for Dolby Digital.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony recievers display 3/2 for 5.1 channels. Don't know why, they just do. Your reciever is working correctly. I believe they also have a picture display on the front panel that shows what channels are being used. It should be displaying 5 speakers and a sub when a 5.1 soundtrack is being played; or a left, right, center and single rear (to show mono) when Pro Logic is being played.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks