What's new

Dolby Contrast (local dimming) (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
First I heard about this.

Where the backlight employed is LED's instead of a single florescent and can dimmed in dark and black areas to boost contrast on LCD's.

Exciting news.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
someone had a unit that did that some years ago.. they were sort-of one-off jobs, that I recall at the time cost about $35,000, and were water-cooled.

I suppose a different take is, when do you give up on LCD, and go with LED displays for the home?

Leo

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the Dolby Contrast moniker, but I thought this was a big selling point of the high end Sony LCD (XBR8) and 950 series Samsungs? Both are LED backlit, and the LEDs are locally dimmed based on picture content. Both claim ridiculously high unprovable contrast numbers, like 1,000,000:1 for the Samsung (or something like that...)

Looks impressive at a casual glance in the Magnolia section of Best Buy, anyway. I still like the look of the Pioneer Elite Kuro's better, but that might be TV brand loyalty talking.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
My 8.5 year old Elite set is still going strong, so when replacement time *FINALLY* comes, I may look to them again.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

Huh? These are LCD displays, they are shining LEDs through the LCD matrix rather than flourescent tubes. Samsung has had local dimming LED-backlight LCDs out for over a year already.

We might go to actual LED display when OLED tech matures and is price competitive. Sony's current OLED is only 11 inches, and supposedly might get up to 27" this year. They haven't figured out how to make them bigger yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Local dimming" is the name I've heard; these sets have been for sale for a year or two. Reviews say the provide blacks approaching the best Plasma sets. But they can have downsides, like local blooming: a bright region bleeding into what should be a dark region.

There are two future goals for this that I've heard of. One is individually lit pixels for maximum contrast control (although, isn't that effectively what Plasma is?). The other is high dynamic range (HDR), using localized lighting sources to create much large illumination ranges to better simulate the incredible range we can see: think going from a dark room out to a sunny summer day. No TV can approach that range of brightness change.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I read a review where they mentioned bloomiing on the 950 series. I didn't notice any blooming on the set I was looking at. It is possible that I missed it though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I keep in mind that pro reviewers are much more sensitive to major and minor display flaws than I am. And they're using calibrated displays in light-controlled rooms; who knows what you your set and environment was like? So maybe it wasn't present, or didn't see it, couldn't see it, or didn't recognize it when you did see it
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks