Dolby Atmos music (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Beatles Abbey Road.
Got a link to this? Couldn’t find on Amazon.

To clarify, are we talking about regular ol’ atmos, or a new offshoot of it that my Denon atmos receiver can’t handle? If it’s the latter, that sucks.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is part of a 50th anniversary box set with a remastered CD, two CDs of outtakes, and a Blu-ray with the album in 24/96 stereo and atmos and DTS HDMA.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This all sound like marketing voodoo.
considering that the only way to be able to listen to "3D audio" on Amazon Music HD is:

1. A monthly subscription to the service
2. Purchasing a $200 Amazon Echo Studio speaker. Notice I did not say speakerS.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m starting to wonder if I’ve been on mute here.
Atmos audio is also available on Tidal which is available on about a dozen different devices that have the Tidal app available including Sony TVs.

I linked to this info only a couple posts back.

drapera

Auditioning
Real Name
Avery Draper
Bruce Botnick mentioned (in a video) he was working on Star Trek: The Motion Picture in DA. I thought it might be for a 4K release of the film...but perhaps only the soundtrack? Regardless, I would buy a PHYSICAL COPY of either one.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Atmos audio is also available on Tidal which is available on about a dozen different devices that have the Tidal app available including Sony TVs.

I think Sam responded, saying that he wasn't interested in joining Tidal.

The real headscratcher of this thread is Amazon's poor marketing and lack of device support for their 3d audio titles on their Amazon Music HD service, with no real way to import that stream into a Dolby Atmos equipped home theater.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I remember that either Sirius or XM tried to do "surround" music on their platform at one point, but really all they were doing was adding a matrixed surround channel that was decoded on your receiver if it had a Neural processor on it. It was a bust, and Neural was later acquired by DTS for a paltry $15 million.

Neural is still used in broadcasting, mostly by broadcast networks to convert a stereo signal into 5.1, then transmitted in Dolby Digital 5.1. Prior to its use by broadcasters, a channel would switch either back and forth between 2-channel and 5.1 Dolby Digital depending on how the program or commercial was encoded, or everything would be delivered in a 5.1 wrapper, with stereo programs all too often only utilizing the left and right channels within that wrapper, even if the stereo mix had a matrixed surround channel.

Some of us also use Neural at home under its newer name, DTS Neural: X, allowing us to convert stereo and multi-channel audio mixes to whatever our current speaker layout is.

Last edited:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
pearl jam's gigaton album is streaming on Apple TV in Atmos FYI.

i dont have atmos myself, so i can't tell... but from what in my non-Atmos setup it's pretty good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

It’s starting to seem like atmos music is only available on new devices requiring an additional purchase, over and above my HT Atmos system. If so, that’s a non-starter for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks