What's new

Dolby Atmos: Determined At All Costs (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Denon 3400 does not do 9.2. Only goes to 7.2.
But it does all the sounds and apparently has the full 18 gbps bandwidth hdmi that the older 4300 does not have.

If it’s just for sound I guess that doesnt factor into it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Surprise recommendation from me: if you haven’t heard Cabin in the woods on Atmos, fix that pronto. True story, I had only ever seen this movie on an iPad while on travel. Huuuuge mistake! The Atmos track rocccccks!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Surprise recommendation from me: if you haven’t heard Cabin in the woods on Atmos, fix that pronto. True story, I had only ever seen this movie on an iPad while on travel. Huuuuge mistake! The Atmos track rocccccks!

I just ordered 4 ceiling speakers, now just have to wait for a sale on the Denon I want. Cabin will be one of the first I check out. I was surprised how good it sounded with just normal surround.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well, I finally worked up the gumption to cut open drywall in my 1st floor home theater to cable for Atmos. it's a major pain, but I can't wait any longer.

Four of these bad boys are arriving next Wednesday: http://us.kef.com/ci200rr-thx

I'll be powering them with a new D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 amp, so I can expans to 6 channels in the future if I move.

The pre/pro will be a Marantz AV8802A

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll be powering them with a new D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 amp, so I can expans to 6 channels in the future if I move.
I'm intrigued by the high(er) end class D amps that are showing up these days. Unfortunately, they aren't in my near future, but I'd sure love to give one of them a try. I had remained skeptical, but my eyes were really opened when I found out even PS Audio has come out with some. How much I'd love to give a pair of their class D Monoblocks a try. I only live an hour from Boulder. I have visions of magical things with my Thiels.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I finally worked up the gumption to cut open drywall in my 1st floor home theater to cable for Atmos. it's a major pain, but I can't wait any longer.

Four of these bad boys are arriving next Wednesday: http://us.kef.com/ci200rr-thx

The pre/pro will be a Marantz AV8802A

Dave,

Welcome to the world of Atmos. Glad you are finally upgrading. Good luck! Let us know your initial listening experience.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Received my Denon 4300H 9.2 AVR a few months ago and added 2 extra ceiling speakers for 7.1.4. Also added a Auto Source 100vs Amp for the extra two ceiling speakers. Now my HT is complete!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm intrigued by the high(er) end class D amps that are showing up these days. Unfortunately, they aren't in my near future, but I'd sure love to give one of them a try. I had remained skeptical, but my eyes were really opened when I found out even PS Audio has come out with some. How much I'd love to give a pair of their class D Monoblocks a try. I only live an hour from Boulder. I have visions of magical things with my Thiels.
Class D sounds really good now, though PS Audio's prices for it are a bit high. D-Sonic makes mono-blocks too, fwiw.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My Atmos install is now complete. The red paint makes photography hard, but the speakers are 4 of these guys powered by another D-Sonic amp, so my amplification matches.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
One of us! One of us! Gooble Gobble!

What film are you using to break it in? Wait on Mad Max, War for Apes, Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049 and both Pac Rims or you will spoil yourself early =)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
One of us! One of us! Gooble Gobble!

What film are you using to break it in? Wait on Mad Max, War for Apes, Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049 and both Pac Rims or you will spoil yourself early =)
Blade Runner is on the docket for tonight. I also have all the Dolby Atmos demo loops from the theater, which I ran through yesterday. The Amaze loop was stunning!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just can't see spending the money for the Atmos demos, but INSURGENT has one of them at the very beginning. That's the one I use to show my Atmos speakers off...perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks