What's new

Dolby Atmos: Determined At All Costs (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That sounds like a good combination! The receiver should run as cool as a cucumber with the Outlaw's assistance.
Yeah, I talked it over with an Outlaw representative and he did some quick math with the A3060 specs. as we decided what was the best bang for my bucks. I'll have the A3060 drive just the Dolby Atmos speakers.

Last edited:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yeah, I talked it over with an Outlaw representative and he did some quick math with the A360 specs. as we decided what was the best bang for my bucks. I'll have the A3060 drive just the Dolby Atmos speakers.

Back in the fall of '06 I got my first HDMI receiver. It was an Onkyo. I only had 5 channels of amplification back then. The Onkyo just pushed the two rear center speakers. It sounded terrific. I knew two other folks that had the same receiver running 7 channels. Both of 'em said their units ran so hot you could barely touch 'em. My unit ran just a bit warm. Both of the owners had breakdowns. I did not.

The center channel makes the most heat. Getting it out to an outboard amp is a major coup. Getting 7 channels out....well, you won't be able to fry eggs with your Yamaha... ;) :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was a little concerned about an Up firing Atmos setup but this video made me a little more comfortable.

I am nervous about spending $4 grand on a setup.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm gonna have Atmos in my living room system. I just bought a pair of those Atlantic Technology Atmos add-on speakers that you set on top of your existing speakers. Outlaw has 'em on sale for $299 for the next few days. That includes shipping. I hope Andrew Jones is right about bouncing. I'll have a 5.1.2 system. The head unit will be the Onkyo 1030 unit I won in the contest some while back. The 1030 will only have to power the Atmos speakers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 setup is finally complete. It was a lot more work than I had anticipated as it required the purchase of a new amp [Harmon Kardon PA2000], re-purposing of available channels from my Marantz AV7702MKII and a lot of rewiring to bring it all together. While I was at it I went ahead and put 12 gauge wire throughout since I have some rather long runs. The end result has been well worth the effort as Atmos is simply amazing with proper source material. Anyone out there who loves great sound tracks and is on the fence about Atmos, I can tell you first hand, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Ron for reigniting my inspiration to get this done! I've posted a few pics for those interested. Just click on the "My Home Theater" link below.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought a couple of upfiring speakers to try out. Which movies actually have soundtracks that take advantage of the height speakers. I tried the 4K UHD of "Wonder Woman". That movie has an aggressive soundtrack, but it didn't seem to use height speakers very much, if at all. I couldn't hear anything coming out the speakers whatsoever. I tone tested them to make sure they were getting a signal: they were.

I'll try a couple of more films but I'm probably going to end up taking the speakers back. I do not think they add anything of value when it comes right down to it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I bought a couple of upfiring speakers to try out. Which movies actually have soundtracks that take advantage of the height speakers. I tried the 4K UHD of "Wonder Woman". That movie has an aggressive soundtrack, but it didn't seem to use height speakers very much, if at all. I couldn't hear anything coming out the speakers whatsoever. I tone tested them to make sure they were getting a signal: they were.

I'll try a couple of more films but I'm probably going to end up taking the speakers back. I do not think they add anything of value when it comes right down to it.

There are several excellent titles available. My favorite are the John Wick films. The first is a much better film but both have outstanding Atmos tracks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I have those two. I will have to give them a listen. I played "The Fifth Element" last night as I had read that it has a good Atmos track. After watching TFE, I'm still undecided whether upfiring Dolby-enabled speakers actually add anything worthwhile. I'm pretty well thinking that to do Atmos properly the speakers have to be ceiling mounted near the viewing position.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks. I have those two. I will have to give them a listen. I played "The Fifth Element" last night as I had read that it has a good Atmos track. After watching TFE, I'm still undecided whether upfiring Dolby-enabled speakers actually add anything worthwhile. I'm pretty well thinking that to do Atmos properly the speakers have to be ceiling mounted near the viewing position.
Transformers is another 4K disc with an excellent Dolby Atmos track.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
From what I've read it depends on your room. If you have a standard room [drywall - flat ceiling] then they're supposed to be acceptable. If your ceiling is more of a V shape then probably not. That aside, "acceptable" is not the same as optimal. We all have to compromise but if you can afford and accommodate direct reflecting speakers that would be my recommendation.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Transformers is another 4K disc with an excellent Dolby Atmos track.

Would that be the first one or all of them? I'll have to see if I can find the first one for a reasonable price. I have a limited amount of time, since I have to decide pretty quickly whether I'm keeping the speakers or not. Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on the height of your ceilings. I have four upfiring Klipsch speakers that are excellent for Atmos, but ceiling is less than 8 feet high.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I've read it depends on your room. If you have a standard room [drywall - flat ceiling] then they're supposed to be acceptable. If your ceiling is more of a V shape then probably not. That aside, "acceptable" is not the same as optimal. We all have to compromise but if you can afford and accommodate direct reflecting speakers that would be my recommendation.
Right, my celings are that way and are slightly less than eight feet high.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It depends on the height of your ceilings. I have four upfiring Klipsch speakers that are excellent for Atmos, but ceiling is less than 8 feet high.

Hmm. Interesting. My living room ceiling is ~8ft. It is popcorn, so I wonder if that might have an effect on things. I'm also only using the front presence speaker outputs. Could I ask how far your seating position is from the plane of your display? I'm about 11' from my set. It also could be that the pioneer speakers I picked up are not a good match for my other speakers, B&W CM9s and 8s with Kef UniQs as the back surrounds.

I've never done a YPAO on my set up. I was finally going to do one last night to see if that would lead to any improvement, but I seem to have misplaced the mic.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Can you turn off all the speakers except for the Atmos channels? That might surprise you. It's hard to locate Atmos sounds on my 7.2.4 system. I can easily do this because all my channels are powered by outboard amps. I have in-ceiling speakers. I will have an up-firing Atmos system in my living room whenever I can get my nephew or some other person to help me move my 60" plasma TV from the downstairs. I have the Atmos speakers cables cut and ready, an Onkyo 1030 receiver, and a 70 x 2 watt power amp sitting in the corner in wait. I'll have a meaningful idea of how well 2 up-firing systems work. I heard a system with 4 up-firing Elite speakers and was impressed.

When all the channels firing it can be hard to tell what speakers are doing what with Atmos systems. Also, do you have Unbroken, the world war 2 flick with the B-24 bombers...? The first 30 minutes of the film with the air battles and crash is awfully impressive in Atmos. Gravity's effects in the early part of the film are quite revealing. When George Clooney is jetting around the satilite whilst the others are doing repairs, is the best scene. You should hear him moving around above you. I first saw that scene on a 5.1.2 system at a dealer but it was in-ceiling speakers. The scene isn't a sonic torrent, so, it a good 'un to guage the effect. .

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can you turn off all the speakers except for the Atmos channels?

Yes. I can do that.

When all the channels firing it can be hard to tell what speakers are doing what with Atmos systems. Also, do you have Unbroken, the world war 2 flick with the B-24 bombers...? The first 30 minutes of the film with the air battles and crash is awfully impressive in Atmos. Gravity's effects in the early part of the film are quite revealing. When George Clooney is jetting around the satilite whilst the others are doing repairs, is the best scene. You should hear him moving around above you. I first saw that scene on a 5.1.2 system at a dealer but it was in-ceiling speakers. The scene isn't a sonic torrent, so, it a good 'un to guage the effect. .

No. I don't have that particular movie. In fact, your mentioning it is the first I've heard of it. Unusual for me, since I tend to like WW2 related films. I have "Gravity" but it is the old version. I don't think it has Atmos on it, but I'll check it out. Your idea of turning off everything except the presence speakers is a good one. I'll give it a try and see what the results are. Still not sure, whether I'll keep the Pioneers, regardless of how they work. They look kind of cheap next to my other speakers. I tried to see if B&W made a similar type of Dolby-enabled speaker, but I didn't find any.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a 7.2 AV receiver and a 5.1 setup and I decided to add two surround backs for 7.1. I read in the manual I also have a connection for two front highs/wides. Wow, now I can do two in-ceiling Atmos speakers. Low and behold, one small sentence buried in the speaker section says I can't use that connection if using back surrounds.

So, to get 7.1.2, I would need to purchase a new $1500 9.1 channel AV receiver and of course the in-ceiling speakers and try to sell my new speakers..

What I should have done was not get the back surrounds, get two Atmos in-ceiling speakers, keep my receiver and end up with 5.1.2. You think you research enough and sometimes you still miss something, guurrr!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks