What's new

Dolby Atmos: Determined At All Costs (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi John!

Glad I could help somewhat. I still continue my Atmos presentations.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Fellow enthusiasts, i just experienced my first Atmos-encoded title, "Jack Reacher - Never Go Back." All I can say is, WOW!!! While the height channels are new to Atmos and competing formats from DTS and Auro, Dolby Atmos (and I assume the others) represent a completely new experience even without them, something I think each should have done a better job of emphasizing in their marketing material. I know I didn't fully understand this going in and was simply blown away. My system never sounded like this before. Each speaker was invisible unless it "had something to say" at the time. None of the ambient, vague filler sounds common to other CODECS. I don't consider myself an audiophile but any discerning ear knows amazing when it hears it. I was less than amazed by the actual film but Atmos certainly did not disappoint.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Any recommendations? I need sustenance.

The first half-hour of Unbroken, when they're in the B-24's, is amazing. The Underworld UHD-BD edition is terrific.....Gravity, Atmos edition....Arrival...this one will make your speakers and amps have multiple orgasms and rattle the walls....the new Star Trek UHD-BD editions...if you have DTS-X, the Independence Day UHD-BD is spectacular....

Most of the best aircraft movies, for me, have been up-converts, Red Tails, The Red Baron, and Dark Blue World come to mind.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Anyone with experience adding on upfiring speakers to existing kit? I'm happy with my AJs upstairs but I want to add on to my 15 year old Paradigm setup in living room. It looks like the best option might be these Klipsh's:
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-1...rd_wg=VWtws&psc=1&refRID=YXYF2HBY6FGWGGCXNB3M

I'm concerned mixing horns in with my old direct radiators might be a little jarring. Thoughts?
Sam,

I'm looking on adding Dolby Atmos to my nine year old Paradigm Studio setup. Right now, I have a 7.2 speaker setup and I want to add four Dolby Atmos speakers. Two on top of the front main speakers and then adding two upfiring speakers in the back.

I've looked at the those exact Klipsh's speakers, but I heard some good things about these ELAC speakers. They're cheaper, but I'm still evaluating as I wait for the higher price 2017 receivers to come out later this year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bought the cheap AJ upfiring modules. Now I just need to find a place to get the Denon 3300 locally for $500ish like it's been at Frys. Will be weird to go from a 3312 to a 3300. Product numbering is weird

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I bought the cheap AJ upfiring modules. Now I just need to find a place to get the Denon 3300 locally for $500ish like it's been at Frys. Will be weird to go from a 3312 to a 3300. Product numbering is weird
Sam,

Out of curiosity, why did you buy those AJ upfiring modules instead of those Klipschs? Based on my little Dolby Atmos knowledge, I would think the AJ modules would be just fine instead of the much more expensive Klipschs.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I recently became Atmos capable with my Yamaha VX-581. Mounting speakers on the ceiling is a no go for now. Can I still
Get the Atmos experience with rear back speakers?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I recently became Atmos capable with my Yamaha VX-581. Mounting speakers on the ceiling is a no go for now. Can I still
Get the Atmos experience with rear back speakers?
You can't place some upfiring modules on top of your two main front speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josephwit
Recent bookmarks