What's new

Dolby Atmos: Determined At All Costs (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sometime in the next couple of years I want to have both Atmos and DTS-X capability! All I need is a new receiver and new rear speakers and I will re purpose my current surround speakers to ceiling channel speakers.

Congratulations Ronald on your Atmos system! Love your home theater as it must be very enjoyable to watch movies on.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sometime in the next couple of years I want to have both Atmos and DTS-X capability! All I need is a new receiver and new rear speakers and I will re purpose my current surround speakers to ceiling channel speakers.

Congratulations Ronald on your Atmos system! Love your home theater as it must be very enjoyable to watch movies on.

Dave,

Thank you so much. The Atmos makes all the difference in the world. Really.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ron,

Very happy to hear about your Dolby Atmos install, and (finally) being able to convert your room into a big screen, front projection home theater.

I probably won't be upgrading to Atmos anytime soon. But just knowing that it can work, even in a confined space such as yours, is good to learn.

If my current Yamaha receiver ever bites the dust, I will certainly look into Dolby Atmos.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Ron, that's an awesome & inspiring account.

I know this question will alarm purists, but does the Denon have the capacity to create an ersatz Atmos effect from 2 - 7 track sources? For example, can it create an Atmos effect for Raiders or Close Encounters, say? Understanding, of course, the effect might be unpredictable. Years ago when I got my first Dolby Prologic receiver I was pleasantly surprised at what it could do with two-channel sources that weren't created with surround in mind.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Very good, Ron. Way to follow your heart. I am looking to go Dolby Atmos--with DTS:X--in the coming years ahead. I will also look to start phasing in new BIC Acoustech speakers simultaneously as well from their PL line. And I will purchase at least a pair of Atmos speakers as well. I am already looking forward to this. Some Atmos soundtracks are being iced here in my home, specifically, for fhat very reason.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Shouldn't it be, DTS-X at all costs, at this point...??? I'm becoming increasingly tempted to buy a Denon 6300 receiver.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Great setup Ronald. Love hearing your thoughts on your crusade for getting your setup completed I will admit doing mine was a challenge and I got these really heavy martin logan speakers to use for Atmos and didn't even think about my ceiling space! I was very lucky there was enough clearance into the tiles that they could be mounted - professionally of course because they weigh a lot and aren't made for drop title ceilings but Magnolia installers had mounted them many times for other drop tile ceilings and they did it in a matter of maybe 1.5-2hrs for all 4 speakers. They also loved that my ceiling tiles were a harder more sturdy density they said that made a huge difference. In the end I spent a lot of money but it is fun when you get the right movie to show it off with.

just coming across this thread reminds me that I have yet to watch my disc of John Wick on my atmos setup. I bought it before I installed Atmos and meant to test it out.

I've watched many other Atmos discs since then, but having said that.. not into a 4K setup yet because I'm still far too much in love with my plasma and I'm still not sure what to make of some questionable HDR transfers.

However the majority of Atmos audio is becoming exclusive to 4K Blu which I feel is unfair but it is what it is. Fewer titles to choose from currenty for me. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I was told that I could hook a 4K Blu player into my setup and it would just down rez the image to 1080P on my plasma that way on Atmos exclusive titles I could at least enjoy them. Not sure if many out there have done this? If I do buy a 4K player it won't be until OPPO releases one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron!

Something I've been wondering about for awhile...

Since you've gotten your basement set up and have the Atmos system in place...have you given this disc a spin yet??

71W3RWLqV0L._SL1442_.jpg

Years ago, you and I spoke often about how much we liked the audio on the DVD release and then upgraded to the Blu version. I was just wondering if you have pulled it off the shelf since you have your new room all set up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Funny you ask. The first thing I played on my basement theater Blu-ray player was this disc.

However, not the Blu-ray, but rather DVD-A. I was testing out the surrounds after I had just completed wiring.

It sounded phenomenal, as one would expect.

I forgot all about this Blu-ray. It's in in 7.1?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Great setup Ronald. Love hearing your thoughts on your crusade for getting your setup completed I will admit doing mine was a challenge and I got these really heavy martin logan speakers to use for Atmos and didn't even think about my ceiling space! I was very lucky there was enough clearance into the tiles that they could be mounted - professionally of course because they weigh a lot and aren't made for drop title ceilings but Magnolia installers had mounted them many times for other drop tile ceilings and they did it in a matter of maybe 1.5-2hrs for all 4 speakers. They also loved that my ceiling tiles were a harder more sturdy density they said that made a huge difference. In the end I spent a lot of money but it is fun when you get the right movie to show it off with.

just coming across this thread reminds me that I have yet to watch my disc of John Wick on my atmos setup. I bought it before I installed Atmos and meant to test it out.

I've watched many other Atmos discs since then, but having said that.. not into a 4K setup yet because I'm still far too much in love with my plasma and I'm still not sure what to make of some questionable HDR transfers.

However the majority of Atmos audio is becoming exclusive to 4K Blu which I feel is unfair but it is what it is. Fewer titles to choose from currenty for me. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I was told that I could hook a 4K Blu player into my setup and it would just down rez the image to 1080P on my plasma that way on Atmos exclusive titles I could at least enjoy them. Not sure if many out there have done this? If I do buy a 4K player it won't be until OPPO releases one.

Go ahead and buy a 4K player and play UHD-BD's in 1080p. You'll fall in love with a compatible OLED someday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go ahead and buy a 4K player and play UHD-BD's in 1080p. You'll fall in love with a compatible OLED someday.
Based on my experiences with previous video formats, I wouldn't rush out to buy a first generation 4K player, if you're not ready to take advantage of the UHD experience. It's probably best to wait until you upgrade your display at your earliest convenience and then purchase a later generation player that will probably perform better at a possible cheaper price point.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Funny you ask. The first thing I played on my basement theater Blu-ray player was this disc.

However, not the Blu-ray, but rather DVD-A. I was testing out the surrounds after I had just completed wiring.

It sounded phenomenal, as one would expect.

I forgot all about this Blu-ray. It's in in 7.1?

Nope. It's 5.1.

But like you and I have said for a long time, it's one of the best sounding discs (like the film Chicago) in our collections.

I was just wondering if the addition of your Atmos gear made it "even better!" :D I was wondering if it could give the concert soundtrack an ever broader soundstage. I wasn't sure if Atmos can enhance non-Atmos soundtracks in that way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nope. It's 5.1.

But like you and I have said for a long time, it's one of the best sounding discs (like the film Chicago) in our collections.

I was just wondering if the addition of your Atmos gear made it "even better!" :D I was wondering if it could give the concert soundtrack an ever broader soundstage. I wasn't sure if Atmos can enhance non-Atmos soundtracks in that way.

Have no idea. I haven't really tried any of the receiver sound formats that expand the audio beyond 5.1 for material in that format.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What are the dimensions of your room? I have a 10w by 16L by 8h in my basement that I think of converting to a basement theatre from time to time. Problem is I'm not sure where to start. The thing is all wood panel walls, linoleum tile floor and ancient acoustic ceiling tile.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ron. I ran across your story today and it was just what I needed to see. We moved into a new home less than 6 months ago. Part of the reason I bought this particular home was the included theater room but it's a bit smaller than my previous room which has presented challenges. After a month or so of being relegated to a 55" TV for movie viewing I finally got my HT room completed and my Panasonic projector online. Part of the transition was purchasing separates and I settled on the Marantz 7702 MKII and the Outlaw model 7140. Since purchasing the Marantz I've been craving Atmos since I now have the proper gear [minus speakers] but haven't had the courage to take the plunge just yet. Your experience has convicted me to make this a priority and get it done. I rested long enough from the initial setup and now it's time for another project.

Many thanks for a much needed slap upside the head!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks