What's new

Dolby Atmos - audio file not supported (new Smart TV) ?? (1 Viewer)

davis.js

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Davis
I have recently purchased a brand new 65 inch ULED 4K TV (Hisense), and was surprised when attempting to play a 4K movie from my external hard drive connected to the TV, that the audio file was not supported. It's an mkv file, and it's in Dolby Atmos format. I have an Onkyo Dolby Atmos AV receiver. The video file plays fine, but there's no sound, and I'm wondering why? We've contacted their support and they say that Dolby Atmos is supported, but that the problem may be with the TV's internal player? They're suggesting downloading and installing a 3rd party video player app to play the file (I'm not sure about this, as in my opinion the TV should be able to handle this without a 3rd party app).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've found that playing files with TVs and most disc players is spotty at best. If you really want to be able to play files, the only solid solution I've found is to use an Oppo Blu-Ray/4K player, which isn't exactly an inexpensive solution, but it'll play pretty much anything you throw at it. Still, if the file is wonky you'll be out of luck.

BTW, saying it's an mkv file doesn't really mean much. MKV is just a container for data. It has nothing to do with what form the data inside the container is.

davis.js

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Davis
I've found that playing files with TVs and most disc players is spotty at best. If you really want to be able to play files, the only solid solution I've found is to use an Oppo Blu-Ray/4K player, which isn't exactly an inexpensive solution, but it'll play pretty much anything you throw at it. Still, if the file is wonky you'll be out of luck.

Last edited:

davis.js

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Davis
Okay, so I purchased a 4K HDD media player. Now I'm wondering about connections. My A/V receiver only has two optical audio inputs (TV, and CD). The 4K media player has a single HDMI input, single HDMI output, and one optical audio output. My TV does not have an optical audio output, but a single digital co-ax output for audio. I've heard to get the best audio experience I should be utilizing optical or digital co-ax. What's the best way to connect my 4K media player? Attached is a screenshot of the rearview of my A/V receiver (Onkyo TX-SR444) Currently I have HDMI out from the 4K player to my BD/DVD input on my receiver. Optical audio out from the 4K player to the optical input on my A/V receiver (TV input section). My A/V receiver only has one HDMI output for TV - so that's the one that's currently going out to my TV. There is a noticeable difference in audio quality coming through my system when I switch back and forth (input selection) between TV and BD/DVD. BD/DVD sounds much better but I'm assuming the sound I'm getting from this is all from the HDMI connection as there is no optical audio input for BD/DVD.

I'm a little confused at what the best way is to connect everything and would appreciate a little advice - please and thanks. My apologies in advance if this should be posted elsewhere.
Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.14.51 PM.png

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You shouldn't need to hook up the optical out. Audio over optical is going to be inferior to what is passed over HDMI, especially when it comes to 4K, which in most cases supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos. Disconnect that optical, stat.

Also, if this is an accurate picture of the back of your receiver, you have 4 HDMI inputs.

davis.js

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Davis
You shouldn't need to hook up the optical out. Audio over optical is going to be inferior to what is passed over HDMI, especially when it comes to 4K, which in most cases supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos. Disconnect that optical, stat.

Also, if this is an accurate picture of the back of your receiver, you have 4 HDMI inputs.

Yea, my receiver has that many but my 4K media player just has one out and one in (HDMI).
So, HDMI is superior to S/PDIF as far as audio goes? Good to know! Thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If I had to guess, I'd say your mkv isn't playing because it's encoded using AAC and TV's usually only play the older AC3. If you're making your own mkv's you can try the alternate encoding; if not, you can try routing the file through the receiver, which is probably more versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks