Dolby and DTS question, which one?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Blashy, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Blashy

Blashy Agent

Once my home theatre is setup, do I have to choose between which format I want to use depending on the movie and what it supports or can I just choose one setting for my 5.1 setup and simply leave it as is all the time?

I'll most likely by purchasing the Creative Decoder DDTS-100 and it supports many formats:

DTS, Dolby, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If a movie has a dts track, MOST of the time, it will be the best one to listen to, but not all the time. Occaisionally, the DD track will sound better. Not that many movies have dts tracks.........
    You will probably want to watch tv and listen in PL II. Some folks like to listen to music in thePL II or Neo6 mode. I use the PL II for music. I really use it for everything, except when DD or dts is needed!

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Such is the luxury of choice [​IMG]

4. Blashy

Blashy Agent

For me, auto select would be an absolute must feature.

Tom's Hardware says this about the DDST-100

There is also a weird phenomenon in Dolby Digital EX. While for the other digital format, recognition is automatic, this standard (DD EX) needs a button to be pressed.

I guess this means it has auto select?

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

A button probably needs to be pressed because not everyone has the 3rd surround speaker. Sometimes I find I'm listening to DTS-ES. Since I don't have a 6.1 setup, that means I'm missing some of the sound. I've learned to stay away from that button on the remote, but it is still accidentally hit once in a while. [​IMG] Don't fret the auto-select feature. I can't remember the last time I saw something that didn't have it for most setups.

So the button that needs to be pressed on your piece might only be a one time thing, and I'd say it's a good idea. Now since I have my setup for DTS and not DTS-ES it stays that way unless it is told otherwise. Just like if I had it set to DTS-ES, it would automatcially switch to that when that option is available. The button is there just to make sure you know you are using DD EX and taking advantage of it, instead of having the system set up for a 6.1 gig when you only have 5.1 thus missing an entire rear channel of the soundtrack (the 5.1 setup mixes the 6th channel between the 2 surround speakers.) The ES and EX formats are still new so they have to be treated differently.

6. Blashy

Blashy Agent

The DDTS-100 has a switch in the back to go from 6.1/7.1 to 5.1 this tells the decoder you have a 5.1 set-up and plays sounds accordingly.

From IGN GEAR review:

Notice that near the bottom edge of the back panel there is a small switch. This switch tells the DDTS-100 whether you have a 5.1 or 6.1/7.1 speaker system connected. This is to prevent the loss of source material if you are only using a 5.1 system

This product is looking more and more attractive, hehe.

7. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    With the receiver set to digital auto, it will automatically start in DD 5.1, when you insert a movie that is DD 5.1. But for dts, you will have to go into movie's menu under languages or audio setup, and choose the dts track. The receiver will not automatically choose the dts track.........

8. Blashy

Blashy Agent

Oh well that I can live with, setting it up through the DVD is simple.

My wife might forget if she is watching one alone but the sound would still be good in DD5.1, I doubt she would notice anything, hehe.

9. John S

John S Producer

The beauty of having so many different processing softwares, is that you get to decide.

I almost always find the DTS tracks a little better myself.

I have also come to realize that it is on way more of my DVD's than I had really known, as I was being lazy and not even looking on most of them.

If it says DTS, you at least should to check it out, I think now I use DTS when available just because it is there more than anything. :)

But these are great, really cool choices to be faced with.
    I'll bet your really get'n stoked about having your theater up and running!!!

10. Blashy

Blashy Agent

100% I'm getting the Creative DDTS-100 now, compared to other receivers at the same price range it is packed with features and is a perfect fit for my PC speakers on my TV.

And I'll definitely always use the standard on the DVD, I'm just glad the others work if you don't for my wife's benefit.

Stoked? Let me put it this way, I was going to wait until March, but I want it now! Too bad I'll probably have to buy it from creative at 150 since everyone who has it at a lesser price is out of stock.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

So are you setting up a HT, or a computer game rig? I saw someone who had this DDTS-100 setup with some computer speakers for a dorm room, and it was still completely inadequate for a space about 10x10. In short, even Aiwa (which I would rank under "doorstop") sounded significantly better.

I guess it would all depend on your speakers, and the 100 is just a converter box (and a completely cheap on at that)-- but he had it paired with the "matching" creative speaker set, and it was rubbish... even at normal volumes the peaks distorted badly.

Also, no matter what you buy- the "automatic" thing is unlikely- most receivers recall the last 2 channel processing you chose (PL2 for example) and will use this for all 2 channel sources (which is not neccessarily what you want, but certainly automatic)-- but I don't recall if this 100 could do that either.

-Vince