Dolby 5.1 from Xbox WITHOUT optical cable?

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
Hello there , I have a samsung home cinema system with an optical port , a bush television without an optical port and an xbox.
All have HDMI , television has 4 ports and home cinema has 1.
My question is can I get dolby 5.1 sound whilst playing the xbox without an optical cable?
I have an RGB cable going from the surround sound to the headphone port on the television and HDMI going from the xbox to the television.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You don't say whether the ports on each device is input or output. To get 5.1 of any kind (Dolby or not) you need either an HDMI, an optical, or a digital coax going from your Xbox-out to your receiver-in.
If you give model numbers we can help more.
I have an RGB cable going from the surround sound to the headphone port
This really confused me, as RGB is a video cable, so I can't figure out how it's being used for sound or headphones.

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
Okay , sorry I am not good with the tech thing!
Let me rephrase.
I have a stereo cable (red and white) going into the headphone jack from the surround sound.
I have a HDMI cable going from the Xbox to the television.
The surround sound has an digital audio in port but the television has no digital audio port.
The television has 4 hdmi ports , the surround sound has one hdmi port.
The surround sound is Samsung HT D350 . Cannot get the model on the television but it is BUSH 37Inch FullHD 1080.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Ryan

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You'll have to run the XBox digital into the HTiB.
After that you'll have to default to Dolby Digital as the HTiB won't recognize anything but 2.0 PCM and 5.1 Dolby Digital(as in it won't recognize DTS, 5.1 PCM or anything else)

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
schan1269 said:
You'll have to run the XBox digital into the HTiB.
After that you'll have to default to Dolby Digital as the HTiB won't recognize anything but 2.0 PCM and 5.1 Dolby Digital(as in it won't recognize DTS, 5.1 PCM or anything else)
Hi there , thanks alot but i only have one home theatre hdmi port. So if I put the HDMI lead from the xbox into the home theatre , how do I then connect to the television?
Thanks
Ryan

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently...
You don't understand what an optical input is...
or...
The Samsung website is wrong...
As clearly...according to the website...it has one...
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/dvd-home-entertainment-system/HT-D350/XU-spec
And no, I don't know which XBox you got(cause they don't all have the same "connective ability")...
Either you need to hack yours to have the HDMI and optical to work at the same time. Or you need one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348424918&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+switch+optical (just an example as we have no idea if you are in Europe or Aus/NZ. That Samsung HTiB wasn't sold in the US)

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
I said the television doesnt have an optical port. I said the samsung does have one. Can anybody else re read my post and help me? its a pretty simple quedtion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are only 3 ways to get 5.1(technically 4, but you bought HTiB so 6 channel is not relevant)...
1. HDMI
2. Toslink
3. Digital Coax
So, to answer the question you did ask...
No, you can't get 5.1 without some form of optical(which HDMI, Toslink and Dig Coax are your optical choices)

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
schan1269 said:
There are only 3 ways to get 5.1(technically 4, but you bought HTiB so 6 channel is not relevant)...
1. HDMI
2. Toslink
3. Digital Coax
So, to answer the question you did ask...
No, you can't get 5.1 without some form of optical(which HDMI, Toslink and Dig Coax are your optical

I have hdmi cables, can i run them from xbox to home cinema then home cinema to television?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well if you want to connect your Xbox HDMI into the Samsung HTiB and beat yourself into a concussion trying to figure out why it won't work...go right ahead.
So you can peruse it AGAIN...here is the spec sheet for your HTiB...
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/dvd-home-entertainment-system/HT-D350/XU-spec

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
:laugh: I think the original poster is determined that the audio must somehow be routed through the TV when it's absolutely unnecessary. Toslink to HTiB and HDMI to TV, it's as simple as that!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It sounds like $2 will solve this issue?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2

I bought this very cable and used it for a couple years with my Xbox 360, until I could upgrade to an HDMI-capable receiver.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Even though the spec sheet says that the Samsung HT D350 has an optical port, the manual does not show one nor reference one. Based on that, no, you cannot get 5.1 audio from your Xbox (or any peripheral) into your receiver. Only the built-in DVD player will give you surround sound. Even if you take the audio to your TV first, 99% of TVs do not process surround audio, they convert it to stereo.

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
Thanks for your help guys . Just to make it clear I'm not a complete retard (SCHAN) and $2 will not solve my issue. No optical cable will help because my TELEVISON does NOT have OPTICAL ports!
It was a simple yes or no question , is there any other way? The Samsung HT has got an optical port.
It looks like the answer is no.
Thanks anyway
Ry

rjcollins

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
In fact it looks like I can buy an audio adapter for the xbox to which you can connect a toslink straight to the home cinema?
Check this out , does this make sense?
http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/connect-sound-system

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The receiver does not have an optical-in, an HDMI-in, or a digital coax-in port. So there is no way possible to get surround sound (other than the built in DVD player).
The spec sheet says there's an optical, but the manual says there's not. If the manual is wrong, then let us know. In that case you run the optical from the Xbox to the receiver. If you aren't sure, take a picture of the back of your receiver and post it.
On the other hand, if you just purchased the receiver, the false information on the spec sheet should be enough to allow you to return it and get a recevier that will allow you to do what you need to do.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichCMovies