Dolby 3/2.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Why does my receiver say "Dolby 3/2.1" when a 5.1 signal is sent? Is it for 3 front 2 rear 1 sub? Why doesn't it say 5.1?

Thanks

2. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

That's pretty much it; 3 channels in the front and 2 in the rear. The Dolby scheme in most receivers allows for other configurations of the 5.1 soundtrack, like a "phantom center" mode if you do not have a center channel speaker. I believe this would probably display something like "2/2," instead of "3/2."

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

This is pretty much standard practice for receiver displays. Dolby Digital can in fact be anything from Mono to 2.0 to 5.0 to 5.1. The display typically is a representation of what channels are actually encoded on the particular disc, so you're not always going to see 3/2/1 even when playing a Dolby Digital soundtrack.

I'm sure your receiver came with an owner's manual, which may be able to answer many of your questions.

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Which brand of receiver is it? I think Sony likes to word DD like that, most receivers show 3/2.1 as 5.1!

Wes

5. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Hmmm.. I can think of one situation where Dolby's channel ID system can a little more descriptive than the 5.1, 4.1, 2.0, etc..

A typical four channel mag film from the 1950's could be presented in DD 4.0 or 4.1 (Dolby's ID system would call this 3/1.0 or 3/1.1).. Note however a typical 4-channel quadraphonic mix from the 1970's could also be DD 4.0, but it's a different channel layout than film's 4-channel channel assignments. Dolby's ID system would show quad's layout a little better: 2/2.0 ..which indicates stereo fronts, stereo rears, but no center or LFE track.

In the end though, it's still all good. [​IMG]

6. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

The reason your receiver says that is because that is the way all sonys work know. My friend and I just conversed and he says his does the same thing. You are correct in assuming that 3/2.1 is 5.1 just another way of naming it. Hope this helps.

7. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

You also will get 3/2+1 if it is DD-EX (is your receiver decodes DD-EX), and 3/3 if it's DTS-ES Discrete.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

9. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

10. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

My Sony (STR-DE985) shows DD 5.1 EX as "DOLBY DIGITAL[3/2.1]" (same as regular DD 5.1), and DTS ES as "dts[3/3.1]" (as opposed to "dts[3/2.1]" for regular DTS 5.1.

11. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the "phantom center" more of a setup issue, which is different from the signal sent? I would think the display would be "3/2.1" even if you had a "phantom center".

Regards,
    John Flegert

12. DaveVan

DaveVan Extra

There is a "Dolby Digital 3" mode, that uses front speakers to generate a virtual rear surround effect. Could that be it?
    Saw this on the list of modes for the RCA RT2500.

13. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

The reason your receiver says that is because that is the way all sonys work know. My friend and I just conversed and he says his does the same thing. You are correct in assuming that 3/2.1 is 5.1 just another way of naming it. Hope this helps.

14. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"My Sony (STR-DE985) shows DD 5.1 EX as "DOLBY DIGITAL[3/2.1]" (same as regular DD 5.1), and DTS ES as "dts[3/3.1]" (as opposed to "dts[3/2.1]" for regular DTS 5.1."

Are you saying the DE985 supports DTS ES? Or does it just recognize it on the display.

15. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

I believe the 985 recognizes DTS ES as such, and then decodes it via matrix decoding. I don't know for sure because I don't have a back surround speaker set up yet...