What's new

Doing my HW on Subwoofers...help? (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ed - This would be one of those times that having Ron or Tom here would be cool... The only design that Tom has said the Ultra driver was not a marked inprovement over the already very good db-12 is the B4+...

Back In December when I was trying to decide between the PB2 Ultra and the other products (PB2+, B4+... and I initially ordered a PB2 Ultra)... Tom's e-mail bassically (pun intended) said the PB2-Ultra and the B4+ would sound very close (the B4+ having 4-6 dB more headroom, like it is needed), and that they had intended to possibly do a B4 Ultra, but the Ultra driver in the push-pull design (as in the B4+) did not realize much benefit, where it DID sound better in both the PB-2 AND the cylinder designs...

Everyone that has upgraded to the Ultra driver from the Plus has heard a real improvement... It will be interesting to see if I find the same improvement in the B4+ over the PB2+ that you did in your Ultra, and that Scott did when he went to Ultras...

If you see me post the B4+ went back, and the PB2-Ultra ordered, I guess that will be the answer...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Since the db-ULTRA driver conversation lives on I will go ahead and post my answer received from Tom V in regards early today. I am sure he would not mind.

EDIT> The Ultra will have about the same extension capabilities as the 20-39CS+…but the Ultra will have 1-2dB more clean output capabilities. 4 25-31CS+ all set to 25hz, will have a definite advantage in over 25hz headroom(maximum clean output capabilities). You’ll be looking at about 4-5dB there. With the 4 25-31CS+ set to 20hz, the extension capabilities would now be close…but the 4 CS+ will lose about 3dB of that output advantage. This assumes all subs are located in the same corner of the room…and all have 400-500 watts.

Tom V.

SVS

This is just in relation to spl and the subject of sound quality is a definite strong matter to consider. I care as much about the quality now as I do spl. I don't doubt your assessment at all Ed and I know you think the db is one quality driver. It would be hard to start over again but after comparing the two, maybe it would take some of the displeasure out of it. It's been a little while since I have bought a sub so I'm getting pretty darn thirsty ;)

Craig you know how ridiculous we must sound to some? B4+ or four> 25-31CS+'s need to be possibly upgraded?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks