Doing Laundry: Most Ineffeicient Process in America?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I was doing a load of clothes the other day, and it dawned on me that wouldn't families save time by eliminating the step of transferring the wash to the dryer? i.e. what about an all-in-one unit? Then I found this:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/EZ1612V.html

it's just one example of a combo washer dryer! How come I've never seen one? Best Buy doesn't sell these modern marvels. Do any of you use them? It would save on space and time; it's brilliant!! The only downfall is that if it cannot be repaired, you'd have to replace the whole thing, but I think many people replace both units anyway because they want matching washer/dryers.

Please leave some feedback on this topic!

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

My wife likes to do loads simultaneously and that would be a downfall to a machine like this. She wants to be washing that second load of laundry while the first one is drying. For her, it's no big deal to take out the clothes from the washer and stick it in the dryer which is only about 2 feet away. The plus to a machine like this would be you put it in and go out somewhere and voila, a load is completely done.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Those style of units are widely available in the UK. Yes, they save space, but they don't save time - you can only do one load of laundry at any one time (thus doubling the time it takes effectively if you have a LOT to do), and certainly in the past, they weren't as effective/efficient as dedicated units - that may have changed in the last 3 years.

4. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

As a side note, I would have a really hard time bringing myself to spend $1000 with a merchant that said things like

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

6. wally

wally Second Unit

7. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

8. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

those combo washers totally suck. I tried using one in a UK corporate apartment and no matter what I did my clothes would never dry completely and would turn into a big, wet, steaming lump.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Haven't gone to a DMV in NJ yet have you????

Jay

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I yes, I forget the fundamental flaw of an all-in-one unit...you cannot start a second load until the drying step is done.

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If you have a garden (or yard as you lot call it), or even a balcony then hang the washing out to dry rather than use up electricity.

12. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Good idea if it weren't for neighborhood covenants. For some reason my neighbors don't want to see my boxers hanging on a clothes line. Anyway, you can't beat the smell of laundry just coming in off the line.

13. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Rob, I would, but it's 25 degrees outside. (No, not Celsius.) [​IMG]

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The single machine that both washes and dries is not new, and was not a European invention.

We had one when I was about 14 years old, circa 1964. It was made by a major American mfg, don't remember which one but it could have been GE or Frigidaire.

It looked like a full-size front-loading washing machine and worked just fine. It did cost almost as much as a separate washer and dryer would have cost, and of course if one function failed it was useless for the other. My dad bought it during one the periods of my childhood when he was a single father. He always was and to an extent still is a gadget freak.

I remember in '66 he bought my then stepmom a motor scooter for Christmas which had a fully automatic torque converter transmission and electric starting as well as air suspension, with a top speed of 70 mph mfg by Fuji Heavy Industries (now more commonly known as Subaru).

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer