What's new

Doing Laundry: Most Ineffeicient Process in America? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I was doing a load of clothes the other day, and it dawned on me that wouldn't families save time by eliminating the step of transferring the wash to the dryer? i.e. what about an all-in-one unit? Then I found this:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/EZ1612V.html

it's just one example of a combo washer dryer! How come I've never seen one? Best Buy doesn't sell these modern marvels. Do any of you use them? It would save on space and time; it's brilliant!! The only downfall is that if it cannot be repaired, you'd have to replace the whole thing, but I think many people replace both units anyway because they want matching washer/dryers.

Please leave some feedback on this topic!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
My wife likes to do loads simultaneously and that would be a downfall to a machine like this. She wants to be washing that second load of laundry while the first one is drying. For her, it's no big deal to take out the clothes from the washer and stick it in the dryer which is only about 2 feet away. The plus to a machine like this would be you put it in and go out somewhere and voila, a load is completely done.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Those style of units are widely available in the UK. Yes, they save space, but they don't save time - you can only do one load of laundry at any one time (thus doubling the time it takes effectively if you have a LOT to do), and certainly in the past, they weren't as effective/efficient as dedicated units - that may have changed in the last 3 years.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
As a side note, I would have a really hard time bringing myself to spend $1000 with a merchant that said things like
This energystar model not only gets the job done, but saves u money at the same time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Most Ineffeicient Process in America?
You've never worked on large corporate projects, have you ;)

As as said, having two separate machines allows you to do separate washing and drying jobs in parallel, which makes it more efficient.

Finally, washing is a rather efficient process, in terms of my time, because it requires little intervention. I start a load then leave and do other tasks while it runs. Then come, change loads, and back another parallel job.

If I had a wife to do my laundry it would be extremely efficient for my time :D

wally

Second Unit
they weren't as effective/efficient as dedicated units - that may have changed in the last 3 years.
Still the case BrianB. Stayed in a corporate apartment in September that had a similar unit and it took several hours to dry even a very small load. :angry:

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
She wants to be washing that second load of laundry while the first one is drying.
That machine looks great. Why not buy 2 of them! Then you could have two loads of laundry wash and dry at the same time!!! Besides most laundry room areas have room for two machines, and it would probably look alittle lonely with one machine.:)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
those combo washers totally suck. I tried using one in a UK corporate apartment and no matter what I did my clothes would never dry completely and would turn into a big, wet, steaming lump.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I yes, I forget the fundamental flaw of an all-in-one unit...you cannot start a second load until the drying step is done.

Why not buy 2 of them!
That's what I said! but for $1,000 a pop, screw that. and DaveF, you're right, sorting and loading laundry takes little effort leaving time to do things in between phases.

Here's my dream...an all in one unit that sorts darks, delicates, lights, etc., washes all kinds at once, dries all at once, dry cleans dress shirts, suits, etc. and folds clothes! I'd call it the 'Mom'.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you have a garden (or yard as you lot call it), or even a balcony then hang the washing out to dry rather than use up electricity.

Tommy G

Screenwriter

Good idea if it weren't for neighborhood covenants. For some reason my neighbors don't want to see my boxers hanging on a clothes line. Anyway, you can't beat the smell of laundry just coming in off the line.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The single machine that both washes and dries is not new, and was not a European invention.

We had one when I was about 14 years old, circa 1964. It was made by a major American mfg, don't remember which one but it could have been GE or Frigidaire.

It looked like a full-size front-loading washing machine and worked just fine. It did cost almost as much as a separate washer and dryer would have cost, and of course if one function failed it was useless for the other. My dad bought it during one the periods of my childhood when he was a single father. He always was and to an extent still is a gadget freak.

I remember in '66 he bought my then stepmom a motor scooter for Christmas which had a fully automatic torque converter transmission and electric starting as well as air suspension, with a top speed of 70 mph mfg by Fuji Heavy Industries (now more commonly known as Subaru).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks