What's new

Doing In-Wall speakers in a livingroom (New Construction)...looking for input please (1 Viewer)

talktolee

Auditioning
Real Name
lee
Hi All,

I am looking for input on some speakers that I am looking at purchasing from www.monoprice.com that are in my budget for our new home construction. I am sure there way better speakers available however I was given a strict budget by the better half and think the ones I found will work out ok...

I am about ready to order and have a couple of questions before I decide and am hoping I can get some general input on a couple of different selections.

DISCLAIMER #1

If I am picking something that is not that good or stupid in your opinion by all means tell me. I would have liked to spend more time researching this but with all the decisions coming on various other parts of the house I just don't have time.

DISCLAIMER #2
The room size is 15.6 feet by 15.0 feet. Is the size of the speakers appropriate for this room size? It isn't going to be a home theater room but something for movies and general TV. The main reason for getting in-wall speakers in this room was due to the size of the room and how it connects with the kitchen (open concept) and being able to see the t.v. from the kitchen sink. Basically so my wife doesn't have to put the volume @ 40 on t.v. speakers so she can 'hear the t.v.".

I would think the 8 inch speakers that are available on the website would do nice but not sure if it is overkill and should be looking at the smaller 6 1/2 inch speakers. I was thinking the larger size to possibly avoid the need for a floor standing sub...I know they have wall mounted subwoofers but it looked complicated and don't want to get into that at this time.

Center Channel

Is there a big difference between these two outside of the price and size? The specs seem the same with the main difference being the dimensions...I am able to modify the wall where the center channel would go to create a 'box' which will give me about 28 inches of room for the center channel allowing me to move it from side to side to keep it in line with the middle of the tv.

Option #1
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Option #2

Ceiling Speakers (Rear's)

I liked the initial idea of the angled woofer (option #2) but the price is more than the other option #1. Would I notice a big difference in performance with an angled woofer or is a straight ceiling speaker just fine?

Option #1

Option #2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification

L/R Speakers

In this application would I notice the 2 way vs the 3 way? I have read that all depends on the speaker 'construction'. I cannot really find a informative post regarding monoprice speakers in this regards...

2 way speaker

3 way speaker

Thanks for any input and by all means I appreciate any comments.

As far as a receiver I currently have an Onkyo SR-TX806 from my previous home theater which will work just fine for this application...I can also get a lower end receiver to power these speakers since I was planning down the road to re-use the Onkyo in the new home theater room once it is constructed.

Lee

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I couldn't say which options would be better since I don't have any experience with any of them, but the fronts and center should all be from the same series. Monoprice is a good company to deal with, though. I buy a lot of wires and cables from them.

Since the center is a two way I would probably stick to that for the fronts as well.

I would think angled vs. straight would depend on how far away they are from the seating area. The farther away they are the better angled speakers would be. If you're fairly close to them then straight should be O.K.

talktolee

Auditioning
Real Name
lee
Originally Posted by gene c

I couldn't say which options would be better since I don't have any experience with any of them, but the fronts and center should all be from the same series. Monoprice is a good company to deal with, though. I buy a lot of wires and cables from them.

Since the center is a two way I would probably stick to that for the fronts as well.

I would think angled vs. straight would depend on how far away they are from the seating area. The farther away they are the better angled speakers would be. If you're fairly close to them then straight should be O.K.
I had watched a youtube video regarding the in ceiling speakers and they have a directional tweeter? I would assume you 'angle' that towards the listening area if they are straight firing...but I am not sure...

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input on the fronts...keeping them all the same makes sense and saves money. I appreciate the input.

Lee

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most ceiling spekers have angled tweeters which you would point towards the listening area but I would think a speaker in which the whole thing could be angled towards the listening area would be even better.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Lee,

There tend to be three topics that seem to pop up frequently on this forum which tend to get standard responses. Bose cube speakers, mounting TV's over the fireplace, and the use of in wall / in ceiling speakers.

If you are looking for the best sound quality in a 5.1 or 7.1 system most of us would recommend that you go with a stand alone speakers over in wall and in ceiling speakers. The major drawback to a custom install is that what ever brand of speakers you buy you will not know what they will sound like until they are permanently installed in the drywall of your home.

The size of your room and the fact it connects to an open kitchen does not make in wall and in ceiling a better choice. I have a 14'x22' family room which connects to an open kitchen of the same size. My TV and Center stage of a 5.1 system are the far end of the family room and is easy to hear and watch TV in the kitchen 40' away. If you are concerned about having more volume in you kitchen you may want to consider having some Zone 2 speakers in that room.

talktolee

Auditioning
Real Name
lee
Originally Posted by CB750

Lee,

There tend to be three topics that seem to pop up frequently on this forum which tend to get standard responses. Bose cube speakers, mounting TV's over the fireplace, and the use of in wall / in ceiling speakers.

If you are looking for the best sound quality in a 5.1 or 7.1 system most of us would recommend that you go with a stand alone speakers over in wall and in ceiling speakers. The major drawback to a custom install is that what ever brand of speakers you buy you will not know what they will sound like until they are permanently installed in the drywall of your home.

The size of your room and the fact it connects to an open kitchen does not make in wall and in ceiling a better choice. I have a 14'x22' family room which connects to an open kitchen of the same size. My TV and Center stage of a 5.1 system are the far end of the family room and is easy to hear and watch TV in the kitchen 40' away. If you are concerned about having more volume in you kitchen you may want to consider having some Zone 2 speakers in that room.

Thanks so much for the reply and I do agree with you in regards to you get what you pay for. My goal is to have something better than tv speakers in this room. I guess for the price it is going to be better and it will make movies sound better...at least that is my goal. I had not thought about the 7.1surround set up only the 5.1 so it might work out to take to the other two available speaker outputs on the receiver and put them to the Kitchen for zoned speaker set up.

I haven't done that kind of thing before...is it as simple as having 5 speakers on 'zone 1' and the other two on 'zone 2' and if I am doing dishes or something I can switch it to 'zone 2' and not have 'zone 1' active? Basically bringing the sound into the kitchen with the picture in the living room?

Or do all speakers play? I would assume it depends on the receiver as well.

Thanks again,

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks