What's new

Doh!!!!......when you get those things that say, "You may be a winner...." (1 Viewer)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
My father (who is 73) recently received a randomly selected letter in the mail from the Santa Anita Race Track here in Arcadia (it's a Horse race track) stating that he may have won some money. The contents of the envelope contained the amount of the prize. But, he was instructed to not open the envelope and he had to bring it to the race track on a certain day during the week and open it at the betting window in front of a Santa Anita Official. Otherwise....his prize would be void. He would then be awarded the prize amount shown. It did not state any odds.
He is still happily working (even though he is 73) and just did not give it a second thought. He did NOT take off work to go to the races on that day. So he lost out of whatever the prize would have been. A few days after the day he was supposed to go to the track for his prize, he decided to just open the enveope and see what he would have won.
It said you have won $20,000 .
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
He could not believe it. He never wins anything and yet again.....he won nothing!
Later in the paper there was an article about their little "lottery" and it stated there was one $20,000 prize that was not won.
Does that not suck or what?
frown.gif

He has now gone back to playing the California Lotto every week.
------------------
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I wouldn't have gone either. Money for nothin'. Doesn't make sense.
Then again, I don't play the lottery either.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Doh!!!!" My sentiment exactly :)
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I would like to try to find out who else got a letter and opened it up rather than go to the racetrack and claim it. Perhaps he's not the only one who got that thing. We get those here all the time, stuff like that and there's still probably tons of fine print to read and attempt to understand. Is there any kind of local forum to you where you can pick the brains of the local population to check this out if you're curious?
Win $20,000, but first you must buy a $500,000 500s.f. unabomber shack in the middle of a flood zone! :)
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Jay,
Yea....apparently my dad found out that he received the letter because he is on the mailing list of the Race Track. People on this list received the mailings and of course only a random select few would have received notice of winning a lot of money. Some prizes were supposedly much smaller amounts of money. People can choose to be added to the list to receive promotions and track info. He was on the list because on a yearly basis he organizes company and/or association gatherings at the Track's Turf Club (Since he lives so close). It is where they will hold holiday parties, etc...and he is the contact person.....so he is on their mailing list to receive stuff from the track. That is why he got the letter.
The promotion was something the track was doing to get people to come for off track betting I believe (I will have to check that one), because racing season at Santa Anita begins on Dec. 26th every year.
Just one of those things.....
Again.....DOH! :)
------------------
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't have gone either, just figured it was another scam... doh! How incredibly annoying! Are you sure it was legit? Seems like an awfully cruel way to advertise!
/Mike

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What I do is read it carefully. In this instance, the prize would seem to be a legit one so therefore I would go. In most cases it is "Buy X and you win prize Y." Kind of like some of the PCH prizes that say you've won so much of a credit towards a certain prize. Always be cautious and play the lotto regularly.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks