What's new

Doh! Toshiba DVD player gone TU (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
My Toshiba DVD player has decided to be a bit picky. It will play movies or CD's for a while then freeze up. It may start playing again 30 seconds later only to stop again after playing a fraction of a second.

I'm getting frustrated with it. Could this be a heat problem? I'm 'bout ready to chuck it.

Now, I was gonna build a PC jukebox... I wonder if I should build a HTPC instead :frowning: Sounds like a headache though.

Help! I can't survive without my movies!!!!

Darren

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
What model of Toshiba DVD Player is it? I have a Toshiba SD-2109 DVD Player that would freeze up randomly when I'm browsing the extras on the DVD. The good news with my Toshiba DVD Player is that it has never freeze up during playing of a movie like yours. But it does make a beeping sound every so often during movie playing.

Darren_T

Second Unit
It's an SD 2200. It's never had any problems until now. I have my TiVo sitting on top of it but I have spacers so it has about an inch between the two. It never had a problem with it before so I'm not sure what it is. I'd think if it was the laser it would be a continuous problem, not a problem that shows up after watching for a little while. That leads me to belive it could be heat. I'll have to experiment.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If it has trouble with all DVD's like that then I would say the optical unit (laser) was dying. Regarding the HTPC, you could go that route but my own personal bias against a computer and in particular, software controlling my home theatre would be a point of major consideration for me.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Darren

I love my 2200 as it was the first player I bought. Needing only interlaced due to the 4.3 Sony big sreen when purchased, it gave a nice picture (for interlaced) and had the features that I liked and wanted at the time.
Sharp picture, but if looking the jaggels in certain scenes will about kill ya! :b

So where am I going with this. The player is still running after 3 plus years, but is on it's last legs. Seems it prefers to load and play about 1 out of 3 to 4 DVD disc we load. No problems once loaded and playing, just it choose what we will watch...:angry:
About 6 months ago it started getting picky about discs and has continued to get worse to the point of where we are at now.
The lens has been cleaned and it seems no matter the disc, brand new, lightly scratched, or just smudged rental dics, it seems it has no prefered type to decied to play or NOT to play.

Just going to call it quits and pick a new progress player up. Not sure what yet, but going player shopping this week down to the big city. Have a brand new Pioneer DV-656A refurb, but it was supposed to be Black and came in Silver. Going to sell it cheap in the FS area.

I belive the Toshi is about ready to totaly check out, and tho it is a irratating bastard now, we defintly have got our money and play time out of it. Time to lay the SD-2200 beast to rest..

Regards
Geoff

Justin=>

Grip
The housing for the laser unit may be worn out through many usages.
If the housing is plastic (which I assume), it is susceptible to be worn down from the laser unit repeatedly sliding on it when DVD's are scanned/read. If this happens, the laser will be out of alignment and will have a hard time reading you DVD's.
I think it is more worth it if you purchase a new DVD player than getting it repaired.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Ok, that settles it. Getting a Denon DVD 1600P. Sounds like the life of my player is about up after 4-5 years. It was a good player but it's time to upgrade :)

Geoff,

I'd take a peek at the Denon I mentioned above. It is supposed to be extremely good at DVD and audio. It can be had around $325.00 on-line.

Darren

Darren_T

Second Unit
Just bought the Denon DVD-1600 at crutchfield.com for $329.00 and free shipping in the lower 48 states. Excellent deal 2-3 day delivery in all lower 48 states also.

Darren

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You can find online a couple $20 coupons for first time Crutchfield buyers and get up to $40 off.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Where can I find the coupons? I can't seem to locate them. I'm gonna call them if I can find them and get the discount.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I found the first time customer coupon and called them to have the $20 taken off. I guess that will do for now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yah, that bites not knowing about the coupons for FT-buyers at Crutchfield.

Darren
Glad you got & like your Denon-1600 and we also would like to have had it, but this replacement player will be for the bedroom and just can't see the cash for interlaced play. It is one of the best players out their for sure.

We decided and went with the much cheaper JVC-XV-N50 in "black" for 89.00 with 20.00 rebate. Damn thing has got little sticky fuzzys for feet.
Gheesh :rolleyes:
Not expecting much for the money, seems to be a nice player and produces a great pic on the bedroom 32"-LXI. A few minor menu quirks that I don't care for compared to other players I've seen and had. But again they are very minor to be sure.
At the price more than pleased to this point at 2-days of set-up & play time on it.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks