D'oh! NFL 2K3 caused burn in...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillY, Nov 25, 2002.

1. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

So my friends got XBox Live, which we all love for the convenience of being able to play NFL 2K3 from the comfort of our own living rooms, not to mention being able to pull up routes and select plays without worries of the other player seeing (but I digress)...

Anyway, my friend took a "sick" day and played all day on my other friend's 65" widescreen projection TV (they are roommates), and caused burn in. Bitter! $2100 to replace the whatever. I am glad I opted to get a direct view.

XBox Live claims its first casualty...

2. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Ouch! Do you know what they had the "Contrast" setting at? I bet it was way too high. Makes me glad that I do most of my gaming on my DLP Projector. [​IMG]

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

and that is why i will not buy CRT based RPTV.

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

All it takes is a little bit of 'intelligence' to avoid burn-in on an RPTV. I would never give up my 65" widescreen for a tube TV.

5. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

i've played countless hours of street fighter on my rptv with my dreamcast since that system came out in '99 and i don't have a hint of burn in. it's all about a properly calibrated tv.

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Agreed. I've had 12-hour Gotham marathons on my RPTV with nary a hint of burn-in. Calibration is the key; leaving a TV in the scorch mode that it comes in is risky, not only for video games, but for anything with static images (station logo bugs, stock tickers, etc). Sorry to hear about your friend, Will. That's an awfully high price to pay for a lesson on the benefits of TV calibration. [​IMG]

7. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

if GTA3 or Vice City havent caused burnin yet with the upper right portion for money and health - then I dont know what will!!

Ive played many 6-8hour days of this game without turning off the tv once! Agreed in that it really depends on the contrast setting.

8. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

so willy.... whats the verdict on the contrast setting the TV was on? I would gather it was set pretty high up. can you let us know? thanks.[​IMG]

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

That hurts...god, my wife would kill me if that happened...[​IMG]

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

11. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I have seen the scrolling cable guide cause burn-in with the contrast too high. ANY BRIGHT static image can cause burn it in less than a few minutes.

I would be interested to know what specifically burned in?
    Was it scores etc? The NFL game doesn't look a whole lot different than an actual broadcast game. Not to mention the image changes with replays etc. It would seem to me someone fell asleep in a pause mode or something to make that happen.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I just want to know what happened to the roommate when the tv owner came home. Does he still have his fingers? I hope he offered to cover the damages...

-Dave

13. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

My Panasonic HDTV has seen lots of action w/ XBOX games w/ no hint of burn-in. All your friend had to do was to turn the contrast down from torch mode to a more realistic setting. There is absolutely no reason to fear a RPTV.

14. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I agree with all of the above...learn to properly calibrate your TV. I have had my 56" Toshiba for two years and played tons of games on it without any problems. Had the contrast and brightness set properly with Video Essentials from the beginning, and then had it ISFed by Gregg last month.

15. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

what do you all have your contrast level set to. I have the toshiba 50H81 and have my contrast set to 25. i keep the brightness between 55 and 60 depending on the source. sound safe enough?

16. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

To make it easy, out of %100 percent on contrast I would say that mine is at %30 percent.