What's new

Dogville - Aug. 24 (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
From DVDFile:

I saw this in the theater and I thought it was quite good, although I'm not sure if I'll buy it. But I'll definitely give it at least a rental for Dogville Confessions, which is a very welcome special feature.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Koreandvds.com has had a Region 0 2-disc set of this for sale for about the same price for quite some time. I've been waiting for a Region 1 announcement like this before I finally decided whether to buy the Region 1 version or the Region 0. Since the Region 1 version will also have "Dogville Confessions", I may wait.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Loved this film, I bought the Korean DVD months ago because there was no way it would be released in a cinema near me. I would like to see the "Dogville Confessions" so hopefully it will be on the R4 release and I can give it a rental.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

It does have a "Confession Box" feature which runs about 18mins but Dogville Confessions is a 1hr doc which as imdb says "The footage covers everything from idea to premiere". I think it is actually on the Danish DVD.

Sten F

Second Unit

Yes, the Danish 2-Disc has the full 60 minuttes documentary of Dogville Confessions. This is the best version available at the moment. However, you´ll need a multi-region player to benefit from this release.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The 60 minute doc will probably not fit with the movie on a single disc. I hope they will not just release the shorter version of the movie with the doc.....

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, good point, Mark_vdH--this is a three hour movie we're talking about! However, it would be very surprising to see a shorter cut released on DVD just to avoid putting it on 2 discs, considering that the full 3 hour version played in US theaters. The info that DVDFile got, presumably from a press release, probably just didn't include any mention of it being a 2 disc set. I guess weirder things have happened with some releases, but a shorter-cut/1-disc scenario seems far less likely than a simple omission of the 2-disc info from the press release.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There's a "short cut"? Any idea which version I saw (in the US, premiered back in April as I recall)?

Can't imagine anything that could be cut. It was a long film, but a "tight" one if you know what I mean.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Rich, according to IMDB, a few countries (they mention Italy and Australia) got a theatrical cut that was about 135 minutes long, cut down from the original three hour length with Von Trier's approval (I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of that info). However, we got the full three hour cut in the US. I saw it in the theater about the same time you did, in the last month-and-a-half/two months.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
The US print ads (with Kidman laying on her side in the back of the apple truck) also would have made a better cover. Oh well...

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
The US print ads (with Kidman laying on her side in the back of the apple truck) also would have made a better cover. Oh well...

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I also vote that the Korean edition cover art is much better-looking (almost as good looking as a Criterion Collection item).

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I also vote that the Korean edition cover art is much better-looking (almost as good looking as a Criterion Collection item).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks