What's new

"Dogs Playing Poker" and other fine artwork (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I bypassed this a couple of times, due to my interest in the title.

We have several paintings and other pieces of art that we have collected over the years.

We have no famous names (not in our price range), but if you know anything about Australian aboriginal dot paintings, we do have one by Clifford Possum, and we have a John Brunsden watercolor. Also some works of artists from South America, Australia, Indonesia, Korea and China as well as plenty of Indonesian and Indian textiles.

We have several Persian rugs, one of which is very nice.

And some paintings that we liked from the Ann Arbor art fair.

Nothing from anyone you would have ever heard of, but we prefer to support working artists, rather than getting reproductions of famous paintings.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
We have a lot of limited edition prints signed by the artists, including a fair number by Simon Drew. I also inherited a lot of large photographic prints from my late uncle who was a (industrial) film producer and professional photographer. I've got a really gruesome set he was commissioned to do by the Royal College of Surgeons showing operations (mostly on the heart and guts). Compositionally they're superb, and I would love to have them on the wall but I'm afraid of the effect they'd have on our more squeamish visitors. Also in my uncle's collection are a fair number of large black and white portraits of famous film actors, racing drivers, etc. Although he occasionally did official stuff for films as a moonlighting job, these look like stuff that he did simply for his own pleasure. They look great (certainly more palatable than the operations ones) but I don't think they look right in an ordinary house.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
In my office area, I have the Apple Think Different Educator's Collection (framed) hanging. Their value has really gone up. Just a little over a year ago, they were going for $99.

In the bedroom, I also have a framed Diane Arbus poster (Albino sword swallower) from the LACMA exhibit, along with a framed Gary Winogrand poster from the Getty show.

In the living room, I have another Diane Arbus poster from the LACMA show (A young Brooklyn family goes for a Sunday outing), and nicely framed prints from Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.

Some of my own work hangs in the dining area.

I have no more wall space!

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"I have no more wall space!"

I hear that.

I have many photos I've taken that I'd like to hang, as well as a set of 4 battle of Midway prints.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I have 2 orignal sketches from 2 concept designers who worked on the LOTR films. One is from Alan Lee, which some of you are probably familiar with, as his career extends beyond the LOTR films.

The other is from Dan Falconer of Weta Workshop(He designed Treebeard among other things) Here's a picture of the sketches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ks888/ALDF.jpg

They are both up on my wall now.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I love Clifford Possum.

Lew, that's wonderful that you support working artists. Living and performing here in the "Art District" of Long Beach has turned me on to some very talented young artists. Among my memorabilia (80% of it Blade Runner related) I have a few local artist's paintings, including one horrid piece of canvas that I painted. The one and only painting I will ever do...I'm just awful

Some goodies on my wall:

Studio:
The Beatles: monster size Revolver Sessions
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd: DSOTM
The Cars: Limited Edition Live Print

Front Room:
Asst. Blade Runner prints
Sabrina(1954) movie poster
Audrey Hepburn- famous Breakfast at Tiffany's shot-handmade frame by a local artist friend...beautiful!
Spirited Away- Scroll banner purchased in Chinatown(L.A.)
Ghost Dog:The Way of the Samurai
Leon: The Professional

Yeah, besides the obvious Asian touches, there appears to be absolutely no theme whatsoever. Young women think it's a wonderful flat. Women my age, almost always... horrified.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks