Dogs and Vacuums

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James Edward, May 9, 2005.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My dog goes nuts whenever I bring out the vacuum or dustbuster. Growling, barking, running toward it, then away, then back, etc., etc.

He'll try and bite whatever attachment is on the end, but his tail is wagging the whole time. Through the snarling, barking, attacking, always the tail wags.

Is he enjoying this? I know I am. Does a wagging tail always mean a happy dog? Does anyone know?

We got him at a shelter when he was about 9 years old, so I don't know his vacuum history...

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

My dog does this. It's the sound that gets to her. She has the same reaction to blenders and coffee grinders. She also came from a shelter. My vet says it could be some form of psychological trauma -- she suffered from separation anxiety the first few years we had her. She still gets upset from time to time when no one is in the house with her.

Amusingly, the dog next door hates vacuums too. So when we use ours, that dog goes nuts, and vice-versa.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

One of my dogs goes crazy when I use a weed eater, just like yours does with the vacuum, tail wagging and all.

4. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Shoot, my cat attacks our vacuum with teeth and claws out. She hates that thing. Our dog simply does not like it and runs to the other side of the house.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

My dog does the same thing. Guess he sees it as a big loud toy.

J

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    My old girl used to do that. Sometimes I would get her going just by making a whirring sound...good times. [​IMG]

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Well,
    When a dog is used to shotguns, a vacume cleaner is hardly of consequence [​IMG]

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I have a shelter dog as well and he does this. I interpret it as a kind of playing but I can't help but think that he may be afraid of it. The running joke in our house is that the maid at his old home used to beat him with the vacum.[​IMG]

Kobe; my dog, is also afraid of sprinklers, spray bottles, and thunderstorms. The dog will also not step foot in his yard if it has just rained and the ground is wet. Talk about some weird phobias.[​IMG]

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Our dog is terrified of our vaccum. She'll burn a trail in our carpet when I turn it on.

- Colton

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My dog use to dislike it/bark at it but now he just gets out of the way. Not terrified, just cautious and annoyed by the noise.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Just how DO you clean your carpet with a shotgun? [​IMG]

mental note: Don't go over Henry's house during "Spring Cleaning".

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dogs have more sensative hearing and I think they hear something we dont.

All my dogs hated the vacuum.

My G/Fs pitbull will actually attack her vaccum when she uses it. Its the funniest thing. Even if you shoo him from the room, he comes flying in from another room and lunges at it.

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    HAHA! I just meant that since my dog is a hunting dog and is used to my shotgun, that the vacume cleaner is nothing more than a rustling of the wind to him [​IMG]

14. James T

James T Screenwriter

I heard that and I also heard that dogs choose to ignore which sounds they don't want to hear since they can more-or-less hear about a mile away.

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Our dog does the same thing, hates the vaccuum and the lawnmower. I yelled at him enough to leave the mower alone, but the vaccuum is sort of funny so I let him have his fun. No tail wagging, he just hates that noisy floor interloper.

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Mine does that too. She dragged the previous vacuum down the stairs completely breaking it. It was sorta cute to watch.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My brothers dog is VERY afraid of Vacuums and Lawn Mowers - also motorcycles, fireworks and thunder...basically any loud noises.

I wonder if the dog not only hates the vacuum noise, but also the vibrations in the floor. The combination must be horrid for a dog.

18. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

My dog hates the vacuum too...If I just leave it out in the middle of a room, even turned off, she won't go near it. If it's on, she runs away but keeps her eye on it from afar.

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

A friend of mine's wife didn't find it amusing when her pit ripped the vacumn cleaner out of her hand. I think the dog believes it's protecting the owner from another growler.[​IMG]

20. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint

Does this mean you go nuts when your neighbor's dog uses their vacuum? :wink: