dog for a small apt and busy ppl?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking of buying a dog. My wife and I live in an apt. Thus, I am thinking of a small dog (< 10 pounds). Any suggestions? Also, we are both extemely busy. Although I love dogs and would him/her as often as I could, I don't think we could committ to walking every day, twice a day. Are any dogs able to be trained to go to that bathroom inside (on newspaper in a corner, for example)?

THANKS!

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Aibo ... dogs, puppies in particular, need lots of attention

3. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

Real dogs need real attention. If you're too busy to take care of a pet, you're too busy to HAVE a pet, IMO.

Do you both work, and will the pet be left alone in an empty apartment all day? If you can only grant the pet attention at your convenience, then perhaps you should reconsider the idea.

Not intended as a soapbox lecture, so please don't take offense. You stated that you love dogs, so please consider what would be best for the pet.

4. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Well said Linda [​IMG]

A pet is a living thing, not a toy (despite the inaccurate moninker given that breed group) and as such needs to be treated the same as you would a child. If you wouldn't think of treating a child that way, don't do it to a pet either.

Also, if you don't have time to walk the dog, then you certainly won't have time to properly paper train or crate train it.

5. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Dogs of all breeds are especially high maintenance pets needing lots of activity, companionship, and attention to thrive. Especially when they're young. Honestly I don't see how the conditions you've described would lead to anything but a deeply depressed doggie.

I haven't known any cats as well as I've known dogs, but I wonder if that might be a more suitable choice? For sure you'll have the bathroom situation covered by the ability to use a litter box. Dogs are not known to be particularly trainable in such a way.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    For the sake of the dog, please don't get one if you're too busy to take care of it.

Like they said before, their not toys.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

Exactly. The only reason we have a dog is that my wife is a stay at home mom and can give plenty of attention to her. If she worked, we wouldn't have one.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ditto on the 'if you're too busy, don't do it' sentiment. again, not a knock against you ... just trying to state what's best for the pet.

one of the only reasons we got hana was because i work from home ... so was *constantly* around me during the day. puppies need the attention, plus you need to be able to watch them to help train them, etc.

now that she's a little older, she actually goes off on her own sometimes (like when she wants a quiet place to nap). but at first, she never left our side.

honestly, if you can't devote the time and energy involved ... please don't do it.

----

as stated, a cat may be a more appropriate choice for you. they're independent, easily litter-box trained, etc.

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

There's a great breed of dog for busy people on the go that travel, work long hours, can't walk it, and is almost self sufficient. It's called a CAT, you can get them almost anywhere dogs are sold [​IMG]

Seriously, dogs are not people. All dogs have certain needs to be happy, in this order:

1 - Exercise
    2 - Discipline (training or knowing their place in the pack)
    3 - Attention

If you can't provide #1 every day or every other day, no dog will be really happy in your home. Other than food/shelter/safety, it's every dog's top priority.

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

We have a dog walker during the day when we work.
    The AKC Site has a who's who of dog breeds that might help.

It's one thing if you are busy but it's another if you are never home. Leaving them by themselves is not good.
    Check around and maybe a friend or someone in your building who has a dog would help with the dog when you are busy and visa versa.
    The SPCA might be a good starting point since a puppy takes time .....much more than a mature dog.
    Good Luck
    Grant

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

That's why I got a cat - unfortunately at this stage she's not as independent as I would like.

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Allan,

Please do not get a dog at this time in your life. Both you and your dog will end up for the worse. If you don't have time to walk the dog everyday, and give the dog attention it is not the pet for you.

J

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Don't either. A cat needs company as well and you will be driving him/her crazy by not being there too much of the time and especially, not feeding him/her fresh food and not cleaning his/her litter box regularly enough.

In your position, it just looks if you cannot make any animal happy in an apartment, at this time.

Cees

14. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    In your position and judging by what you've said I would say not to get a dog right now. Dogs need lots of attention and excersise no matter what the breed or the size, if you don't have the time for that than it is probably best for you and the pet that you don't get one.

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

So, get two cats. [​IMG] Two cats, a self-cleaning litter box and dry food and automatic water dispensers and you've got two pets to enjoy with very little mandatory maintenance. You don't have to rush home to walk them or feed them, and they won't eat up all the food you leave out at one sitting the way most dogs will. The cats will keep themselves entertained when you can't be there, they'll have plenty of water and food (you can even buy a battery-powered, ice-cooled, covered "lazy susan" dish that will keep several day's worth of canned food fresh. The lid has one opening that corresponds to each concealed bowl, and it is turned by a motorzied timer to expose one can of food per day) and their litter will clean itself.

I've had a LitterMaid cat box for years, and gravity-fed dry food and water dispensers, because I used to travel frequently on one job and always get stuck with crazy hours on all my jobs (since in the IT business you often have to work when others are off the network and when there are problems with system the business depends on, you simply stay until the problem is fixed.) My cats thrive. Usually I have lots of time to spend with them, but when I don't, I don't have to worry about them. I know they have food, a clean "bathroom" and company. My friends with dogs often have to leave events early, or at least duck out for an hour or so to walk or feed them, or need to arrange "dog sitters" or kennel time for even the shortest absences. If you can't handle that sort of thing and would still like the companionship of a pet a pair of cats is hard to beat.

Regards,

Joe