What's new

Dog Day Afternoon (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Great Pacino pic! I've read where this DVD version is not so hot. Transfer is only average evidently.

My VHS copy apparently has more on it than the bare-bones DVD! How dumb is that!? The DVD has nothing extra at all .... whereas my VHS release has a pretty good featurette ("Lumet: Film Maker"), AND the trailer. Doesn't make sense to put LESS on a DVD!

An S.E. coming up possibly?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

You are correct that this is a great movie.

I venture to say that it still remains Pacino's

greatest film.

Of course, your opinion may vary.

This was also one of the very early Warner

Brothers DVD releases.

Will they revisit it? It would be nice if

they did, but I haven't heard anything from

the rumour mill about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Also one of my favorites! And I must agree with Ron; Pacino's best work. And most quotable, even beside Scarface! Kiss me! :)
I'd never picked up the VHS, having taped the film off of cable a long time ago. I never realized I was missing supplements from my DVD. I don't mind the transfer I have, although I must say I don't have a nice HT system so maybe I just cannot tell the difference.
But I'd snap up an SE in a heartbeat. One of my favorite films. And it really happened, too...who says life isn't stranger than fiction? :laugh:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There are so many Warner films that cry out for re-release, I hope this doesn't slip through the cracks. They should do an SE and release Scarecrow at the same time.
Probably my favorite Pacino film, he really deserved the Oscar for this. My parents took me to see this in the theater and I will never forget how thrilled & excited I was watching this. It is one of my favorite movie theater memories as a kid.
And I wish Paramount would release Serpico, another great Pacino performance from the 70's.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jay, Serpico is on the way this Spring or Summer. I forget the month, and the specific street date isn't set. I want to say June, though.

bill lopez

Second Unit
DOG DAY AFTERNOON transfer is fine. I had the VHS tape that I bought in the 80's and that transfer had scratches on the film but on the dvd those are gone.

If they made a Spec. Ed. they should include a short documentary on where the real life people the movie was based on are today. I know the bank robber is out of prison and the Leon character died of AIDS a few years ago.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I just picked this up used. It was also one of my favorite mvoies growing up in the 70's.
A note on the transfer, I'm definitely no expert on these things - far from it - but in the first 45 minutes alone, I saw two HUGE blotches appear and numerous blemishes throughout. Also, its a mono mix which is fine with me but it seems this is definitely in need of an update.
It astounds me how there is so much CRAP out there and a film like Dog Day Afternoon gets shoddy treatment and Serpico doesn't even get a release!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Any news about this title being revisited as a 2-disc SE ? In the Warner chat from back in April someone had asked about Lumet's Deathtrap and the response was "No plans for a reissue of DEATHTRAP, but other Sidney Lumet films will make
their debut or be reissued next year." (which other Lumet films does Warner own ? Prince of the City maybe ?).
I watched Dog Day Afternoon last night for the first time in a few years and I was quite disappointed by the mediocre transfer. This is one of my favorites films from the 70's and I had forgotten how shoddy the picture quality on this DVD was. I hope Warner gets around to revisiting this title soon - hopefully with some good extras.
-D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Was it an OAR? It comes on sale ($10) from time to time at Frys, but I can never find out reading the cover whether it was FS or not. And yes, a great movie.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Was it an OAR? It comes on sale ($10) from time to time at Frys, but I can never find out reading the cover whether it was FS or not.
Yes, it has an anamorphic widescreen transfer on one side and a full-frame transfer on the other. It may be worth picking up for $10 because the transfer is not that bad (I thought it was pretty good back when it was originally released - in late 97 I think), but most of the other 70's movies that I have on DVD have much better transfers (especially the other Pacino-Lumet collaboration - Serpico).
-D

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I ordered this DVD from Amazon a couple years ago. It is a double-sided FS/AWS transfer -- but the quality of the transfer leaves something to be desired. It's a bare bones disc (which I pawned off over a year ago) and definitely deserves special edition treatment.

Guy_K

Second Unit
Dog Day Afternoon deserves a deluxe 2-disc SE treatment from Warner. Maybe Warner can release this one and Network together as 2-disc sets some time in the future.

MatS

Screenwriter
this should have been redone at the same time as Cuckoo's Nest...I'm still suprised it wasn't and continue to hold out for a SE (this movie is more than worthy)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Warner can release this one and Network together as 2-disc sets some time in the future.
:emoji_thumbsup: I love this guy.
Network is one of the funniest and most widely underappreciated films ever made. As much as I love the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" speech, it saddens me that this is generally all people ever think of when the film is mentioned.
Nearly every bit of dialogue in Chayefsky's brilliant, rant-filled script is equally as engaging and funny. Can we say enough about the monologue from Ned Beatty's character about 3/4 of the way through the movie?
"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and you will atone!"
Give me a 2-disc special edition and give me one now!

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I'll be another fan who will by a special edition
of DOG DAY in a heartbeat. Pacino could have easily
won the Best Actor Oscar that year (his performance
IMO was better than Nicholson's) and the film did win
the Oscar for Original Screenplay. We NEED a good
DVD of this great movie! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks