Dog Day Afternoon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Feb 14, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Great Pacino pic! I've read where this DVD version is not so hot. Transfer is only average evidently.

My VHS copy apparently has more on it than the bare-bones DVD! How dumb is that!? The DVD has nothing extra at all .... whereas my VHS release has a pretty good featurette ("Lumet: Film Maker"), AND the trailer. Doesn't make sense to put LESS on a DVD!

An S.E. coming up possibly?

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    David,

You are correct that this is a great movie.

I venture to say that it still remains Pacino's

greatest film.

Of course, your opinion may vary.

This was also one of the very early Warner

Brothers DVD releases.

Will they revisit it? It would be nice if

they did, but I haven't heard anything from

the rumour mill about it.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Also one of my favorites! And I must agree with Ron; Pacino's best work. And most quotable, even beside Scarface! Kiss me! [​IMG]
    I'd never picked up the VHS, having taped the film off of cable a long time ago. I never realized I was missing supplements from my DVD. I don't mind the transfer I have, although I must say I don't have a nice HT system so maybe I just cannot tell the difference.
    But I'd snap up an SE in a heartbeat. One of my favorite films. And it really happened, too...who says life isn't stranger than fiction? [​IMG]

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

There are so many Warner films that cry out for re-release, I hope this doesn't slip through the cracks. They should do an SE and release Scarecrow at the same time.
    Probably my favorite Pacino film, he really deserved the Oscar for this. My parents took me to see this in the theater and I will never forget how thrilled & excited I was watching this. It is one of my favorite movie theater memories as a kid.
    And I wish Paramount would release Serpico, another great Pacino performance from the 70's.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Jay, Serpico is on the way this Spring or Summer. I forget the month, and the specific street date isn't set. I want to say June, though.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

7. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

DOG DAY AFTERNOON transfer is fine. I had the VHS tape that I bought in the 80's and that transfer had scratches on the film but on the dvd those are gone.

If they made a Spec. Ed. they should include a short documentary on where the real life people the movie was based on are today. I know the bank robber is out of prison and the Leon character died of AIDS a few years ago.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I just picked this up used. It was also one of my favorite mvoies growing up in the 70's.
    A note on the transfer, I'm definitely no expert on these things - far from it - but in the first 45 minutes alone, I saw two HUGE blotches appear and numerous blemishes throughout. Also, its a mono mix which is fine with me but it seems this is definitely in need of an update.
    It astounds me how there is so much CRAP out there and a film like Dog Day Afternoon gets shoddy treatment and Serpico doesn't even get a release!

9. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Any news about this title being revisited as a 2-disc SE ? In the Warner chat from back in April someone had asked about Lumet's Deathtrap and the response was "No plans for a reissue of DEATHTRAP, but other Sidney Lumet films will make
    their debut or be reissued next year." (which other Lumet films does Warner own ? Prince of the City maybe ?).
    I watched Dog Day Afternoon last night for the first time in a few years and I was quite disappointed by the mediocre transfer. This is one of my favorites films from the 70's and I had forgotten how shoddy the picture quality on this DVD was. I hope Warner gets around to revisiting this title soon - hopefully with some good extras.
    -D

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Was it an OAR? It comes on sale ($10) from time to time at Frys, but I can never find out reading the cover whether it was FS or not. And yes, a great movie.

11. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

12. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I ordered this DVD from Amazon a couple years ago. It is a double-sided FS/AWS transfer -- but the quality of the transfer leaves something to be desired. It's a bare bones disc (which I pawned off over a year ago) and definitely deserves special edition treatment.

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Thanks guys, will pick one up when I see the $10 deal again.

14. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Dog Day Afternoon deserves a deluxe 2-disc SE treatment from Warner. Maybe Warner can release this one and Network together as 2-disc sets some time in the future.

15. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

this should have been redone at the same time as Cuckoo's Nest...I'm still suprised it wasn't and continue to hold out for a SE (this movie is more than worthy)

16. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

yeah count me in as well
    [​IMG]

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

19. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I'll be another fan who will by a special edition
    of DOG DAY in a heartbeat. Pacino could have easily