What's new

"Dog" Chapman arrested (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I'm loving Holadem's hatred for Dog, but then again, Holadem must know how I think since I really don't have a problem with what he did. No matter what I say you will think that "It is clear to me that the type of people who support this guy's action is the same who would most strongly object to such lawlessness from a foreigner on their land", even though I tell you that if our government wasn't doing its job to extradite a criminal, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I know you just won't believe me. Thanks for coming to an absolute conclusion about me and my views too! Very open minded.

James D S

Screenwriter
I wonder if other rapists will look at this story and see that Mexico, and the protections the gov't offers to criminals, is the place to be...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:)

Brandon, I had never heard of Chapman, or this case, until this thread. I certainly don't hate him. But what you are seeing transpire in my posts in a deep, profound loathing for a certain attitude/ideology for which this fellow, going by his actions (and some supporting statements in this thread), is a poster boy. I will tone it down and have my office issue a statement expressing my fury instead. But what's with the third person?

--
H

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It's all good H! I have watched him and his show since it came on. Some of it is funny, some boring. I look forward to your offices issuance of your statement of fury!

B

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I don't see why bounty hunting should be illegal in Mexico or anywhere else. The targets have already been found guilty. I guess a bounty hunter could grab the wrong person but in that case, the victim could file charges against them.

I think the action Mexico is taking is going to make them a haven for fugitives. I applaud what Dog did but then again, I'm one of those people who believes the ends justify the means.

As far as how I would feel about Mexican bounty hunters grabbing fugitives in the US, I'm all for it. Once someone is a criminal fugitive, I don't care who takes them out. I'm just hope someone does before they commit another crime.

I think the judge that denied Dogs bounty is out of line. It really makes me wonder when a private individual can find and capture a fugitive that the police, with all their resources, can't. Something tells me they weren't looking very hard.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Not necessarily. All they need to do is be arrested (guilty or not), post bail, and not meet the requirements of the bail bond.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Up front, I believe those of you who would not have a problem with foreign nationals coming to the US and kidnapping those who have been convicted of crimes in other countries.

But let us not forget that what is a crime in another country may in fact not be a crime in the US. Or if it is, subject to a different penalty. Suppose the crime were not rape, but infidelity by a wife in a country where this is a crime most severely punished. Would you support foreign nationals from those countries coming into the US and abducting that woman?

Now it may well be that you would—but I for one would not.

Or suppose that a prominent writer wrote a book about religion that both offended the citizens of another country and was against their laws. When the government declared the writer an outlaw, would you then support foreign nationals coming into another country and abducting the writer?

Now it may well be that you would—but I for one would not.

When Pandora opens a box, what is let loose, affects both the righteous and the criminals. And what is criminal in one place is not so in another.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Very good points Lew, and I don't know that I can honestly answer the questions that you pose. That is the honest truth, something to sleep on.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
What dog did was illegal and he should serve his time.

But I'm glad he got the rapist behind bars. I still think he's the man :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm also glad a rapist is behind bars but I have to ask what are you talking about concerning the murder? Everything I have read said he was a rapist.

Everyone, I've looked a little on the web and can not find this answer, did the Mexican or US government even know he was in Mexico?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
He wasn't a murder, my mistake. Yes, he was openly partying and being pretty brash in Mexico. The US suspected he was in Mexico but didn't know for sure. I didn't realize that he had raped that many people. Horrific.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep, he made a trade off. But let's also be clear on something: bounty hunting, while a crime in mexico, is not a "go to jail" kind of crime. It's a crime in where you pay a penalty and leave. Hearing this discussed on ABC News, that's how it played out.

When he "bonded out" and paid his bail, his bail was considered "equal to" or "greater then" the average fine in Mexico for this act. So, he basically treated this like a state-bird killing here in the US. Example: if I kill a state bird, I will get arrested, I can post a fee, and get out. I don't really need to go back to court because it's a formality, my bail = my fine, and it's all taken care of.

He had offered to pay more $, to equal the ammount of fine, and then the case change. Instead, the penalty was turned from a "misdeamenor" to a "felony" and became an offense. So that's the difference.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Is this actually true, or did the bounty hunter simply find the guy before the Mexican government did? Do you have any evidence of foot-dragging on the part of the Mexican government, or are you just slagging them because you can?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well it's not like he was that hard to find. He was caught inside of a nightclub, so it's not like he was underground hiding. If you saw the show on A&E last week you would have seen how he was out surfing, and spending day after day on the beach. I have no reason to "slag" them.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

You realize, of course, that nightclubs and beaches do not have automated alarm systems that phone the police when wanted criminals arrive at them.

Again, are you just making this up, or did the Mexican authorities actually not bother to try to capture him?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Whats the problem Aaron? I find the smart ass comment rather contrite and quite frankly insulting. Can you provide me with proof that they WERE looking for him?

I found this comical: "The fugitive heir to a cosmetics fortune, Andrew Luster was staying under an assumed name at a $34-a-night hotel beside a police station and had just ordered tacos at a street stall when bounty hunters tackled him."

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
There have been a lot of rather insulting comments made about Mexico so I’ll ask again did the US government even ask the Mexican government to look for him?

Did the US provide any assistance in the form of information?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Whatever Brandon. Since some many very negative things had been written about Mexico I was just curious to know if they really were slacking off or was it just things people were making up. I honestly don’t know and haven’t found anything that says they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks