What's new

"Dog" Chapman arrested (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I know we aren't supposed to talk politics, but here goes.

He is being tried for "Illegally" capturing a rapist, who was by the way wanted. Now the only reason to consider trying him would to appease the Mexican government, but why do we need to appease them, they owe America money, lots of money, billions more than likely. So again why is this even called into question, no rapist deserves to go free, no matter where they are.

Politics and money make a mad world.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Seth, you ignored the fact that what he did is illegal in the country where he did it.

Where I live, an American citizen was sent packing by the Mexican government to the US, at the request of the US to stand trial in Tennessee for his wife’s murder. His father was also sent back to the US on related charges.

If the US wants criminals who broke the law in the US returned, why would not the Mexican government expect the same thing?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No, the "end always justifies the means" crowd does. Bounty Hunting is illegal in Mexico. The opinion that local authorities should look the other way in part because Mexico owes American money (a completely unrelated matter) is quite arrogant, really.

This a clearly a message by the Mexican gvt intended to discourage the practice of "armed civilians" (if BH is illegal, then this is all they are down there) pursuing criminals south of the border.

--
H

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It's a tough call, but obviously the Mexican goverment wasn't doing anything to help catch the rapist/murderer that was openly partying in their country, so yes, what he did was illegal, and he will pay the penalty I guess, but what he did is a misdimeanor in Mexico. I really am surprised that they are going this far for a misdimeanor. I'm sure the Max Factor victims are thanking or would be thanking Dog for getting this guy behind bars, who by the way was sentanced to over 120 years in prison.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
This isn't a tough call at all. The Max Factor case has NOTHING to do with this one.

If the US has any honor he will be extradited to Mexico so their legal system can deal with it.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Sure it does, the ONLY reason he was in Mexico was for the Max Factor guy that nobody else had the balls to do anything about. I don't have a problem with him being extradited. Yes he broke the law and will have to pay the penalty, but they sure are making a big deal out of this. Its a good thing that they don't have any real issues to deal with such as drug trafficing and everyone and there brother leaving the country to go to another country illegally.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I guess what you call “balls” I’ll call stupidity and arrogance.

By the way does anyone else find it amusing that according to the article Dog skipped out on his own bail in Mexico? What the rules don’t apply to him?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
That's ok Patrick, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. This isn't really worth getting into any kind of debate over and no he shouldn't have dodged his bail, and it is very ironic. However, I am still thankfull that he got a rapist and murderer off the streets that nobody else had been able to do in a couple of years of trying.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Knew I shouldn't have done that.

I just think that politics and corrupt society get in the way of many perfectly moral things. Like when a thief hurts himself because he steps on some marbles left on the floor while he was attempting to loot your TV, and actually wins. There isn't much logic behind laws that protect criminals from their own stupidity. Why do we have to suffer more because a criminal hurts themselves while doing something illegal.

Just the same a rapist is put away and law, from any country says, ooh you shouldn't have done that. So we should just let rapists go free because they are in a particular location, corruption

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
First off, let's be clear that I, and everyone else, all agree that rapists deserve everything coming to them....

That said, how would you react if Mexican (or Canadian, Nigerian or Swiss) nationals, came into our country under false pretenses, e.g. a tourist visa, kidnapped a person, (scum or not), and smuggled them back into their own country?

Would you feel ok about armed Mexican bounty hunters sneaking into the US and prowling around looking for an escaped fugitive?

On a side note, the bit about criminals being able to sue for damage, is not the fault of the criminal justice system or corruption. It's idiot juries giving damages in civil suits. I can't even begin to fathom what possesses 12 people to give money to people like this:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Depends on what crimes the fugitive committed and what crimes the BH committed. In the case of rape, and the BH only committing the crime of catching him, then yes, I would feel ok about a Mexican BH coming to the U.S. to return a rapist to justice in Mexico.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Realise that bounty hunting is illegal over there. For this analogy to work, you need to imagine that it would be illegal here as well. So you know what the above scenario would amount to? Kidnapping by a foreign national. Which is exactly what happened. It is clear to me that the type of people who support this guy's action is the same who would most strongly object to such lawlessness from a foreigner on their land. Please.

--
H

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I dont see what I was looking for, so here goes.

One Bounty Hunting should be illegal in the US. Bounty Hunters make there own laws as they go, not following even common sense. There reasoning is whatever and it doesnt matter.

Now with this case and seeing nothing else, if the Dog could find him, why didnt he just tail/watch this person as the proper Mexican arrest was made and that person extradited later after he was in custody.

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

Because he would not get PAID if he did that. Remember he is a "Bounty Hunter" He did not go to Mexico and track this POS for the fun of it. He did it for the money.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My thinking is that no matter what the circumstances, Dog got caught breaking the law in the country he was in, and should face the consequences. I have to agree with Holadem on this one. Do we want foreigners entering our countries and removing our citizens illegally?

Was the target even convicted of his crime? If not, he is technically innocent.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Besides Robbies obvious response, this also assumes that a multi-millionaire would not be able to purchase influence or favors from the Mexican police.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks