What's new

Doesn't kill you when things you bought for a lot of money are now worth nothing??... (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I'm in this boat: sport cards, beanie babies (my s/o), as mentioned above, star wars action figures, military action figures, mardi gras memorabilia, Department 56 Snow Villages (the starbucks piece is the $)...too much junk!
Today, I just gave away a brand new Jennaire cook top that I have had for 6 years when we were remodeling a house we sold off. For some reason, I thought I would use it one day so its been in a rental $torage shed, my moms house in storage, then my my garage and it just left to go spend time in my friends garage. This thing had more miles on it than my 2000 expedition :)

Why are we pack rats??

(Not to mention all of the empty boxes that go to ALL of my HT equip and PC's....:frowning: )

PS-I have some stamps too Who bought sheets of Elvis...?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Lets see... Comic books, including my brothers collection (he moved out of the house first, didn't take them with him). At least they fit in their own neat boxes in the closet. I'm gonna ask him if he wants them one of these days, otherwise they're going to the local comic-book store (where if I'm lucky he wont charge me to dispose of them). And of course the DVD collection several hundred titles large (which I narrowed down to 120-150), now worth nothing thanks to HD DVD.

And every now and then I spend way too much money of LJN's Dungeons&Dragons action figures from 1983. Sure they're worth nothing to most people, but I wanted Battle-Matic™ Warduke® when I was 6, and I still want him now.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For me, I hold onto the stuff because of it's original value. As much as this crap is now...well, CRAP, it originally had great value to me. That's why I don't have the heart to throw it out. It's hard to depart with crap that once meant something.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Brit and collect British stamps, but I know what you're referring to. The simple answer is rarity. An analagous situation happened in the UK with special sheets of stamps brought out for Christmas. Most collectors didn't bother collecting them because they were duplicates of stamps they already had. Then someone pointed out they were a slightly different printing, so folks wanted them but by then they were off the market and the unsold items pulped. Result: demand way outstripping supply and insane prices demanded. And I know it's ridiculous - at the end of the day we're talking about tiny bits of colored paper which unless you get out a powerful magnifying glass look just the same as some other bits of colored paper. The other thing I find bizarre is collecting stamp errors. I mean, who would collect faulty books or DVDs? But phlatelists love stamps with errors - purely and simply because they are extremely rare.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Coin collectors love errors, too. I remember in the '60s there was a famous error on a 4¢ US stamp featuring Dag Hammarskjold. Once the USPS realized that the error had been printed and not caught on the way out the door they deliberately printed a huge amount of "error" sheets, which resulted in making the error have the same or less value than the "correct" sheet. wikipedia page. My parents lived in England in 1988-1990. My mother, knowing I collected stamps, used to fill out the forms and have First Day Of Issue covers sent to me all the time. I've got probably over a hundred English First Day covers from that period. Interested? :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been lucky in that the stuff I collect is more in the vein of, I like the items, as opposed to the lotto crap shoot of selling them for appreciated cost. As a result, the only regrets I've had with my comic, CD, book and DVD collecting has been the odd blind buy item that just plain sucked.

So while I do own some comics and such that might be worth more than cover now, I know I own them for the story.

I do feel your pain though, I tried to sell off some comics on EBAY, at insane prices ($1 plush shipping fo 6 issue mini-series of early IMAGE books, for example) and couldn't get any takers, and the ones that did bid on it never sent the cash. I basically flipped them for nickel each at a used book store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks