What's new

Doesn't DC have any "Movie" quality heroes than just Batman & Superman? (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
DC's use of their "avatar" characters like Flash and GL is kind of a double-edged sword really. On the one hand, it does complicate things given the complex histories of the characters, but I also think it's kind of cool that DC acknowledges the passing of time by having older heroes (like Jay Garrick) exist alongside younger counterparts (like Wally West and Bart Allen, who is Barry Allen's grandson). I don't really think it would matter which version of each character DC would choose to bring to the big screen, because I don't think fanboys are THAT loyal. If I had to make a bet though, I'd say that Barry Allen and Hal Jordan would be the front runners for adaptation, given that these two are the ones most recognized and fleshed out, in my opinion.

On the Marvel side of things, I think that a Captain America movie could be really effective in a Superman: The Movie kind of way, in that it could be totally epic and span three solid acts. You could spend a good 45 minutes on Cap during WW2, and then move on to the whole "man out of time adjusting to the present day" angle before Red Skull shows up and Cap has to take him down. If they didn't want to do that, they could go the route that Brubaker's been doing in his recent run by focusing on the more espionage side of Cap.

On a related note, I don't understand how Marvel's ever going to make a good Avengers movie, even though they claim one could theoretically happen in the new issue of Wizard. I mean, the Hulk and Iron Man are pretty crucial characters, and they've been farmed out to different studios.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'd like a Detective Chimp movie.

This is kind of why I've always felt that someone in their 30's, preferably around 35 or so, is best for casting an action hero role: young enough to still believably kick some ass but not so young that you can't believe the person is lacking experience and wisdom in their line of work. Can you imagine if they had made Raiders of the Lost Ark today? They'd cast a baby-faced 24 year old and tell you the guy is a world-class archeologist. Wha--?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm pretty sure this is a Vertigo comic, but "Y: the last man" would be a pretty good movie. It's a about a mysterious plague that wipes out every male of every species on the planet save two: a young magician and the spider monkey he was training. It's a great apocolpytic thriller.

And although it's Icon (which is Marvel, isn't it?) Bendis's POWERS comic would make a great HBO series.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
There's a script out there for Y: The Last Man, or at least I'd heard somebody was working on it. Never read the comic, would like to.

And if I'm not mistaken, David Goyer said he wanted to use Wally West when asked which Flash he was going to use. (This was also a year and a half ago, so who knows what's up with the project now.)

Oh, and I'd love to see HBO or SciFi tackle the Jack Knight Starman as a weekly series. I know ABC commissioned a pilot script about four years ago, but that was as far as it got.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Goyer also wants to use Ryan Reynolds for the Flash. Which I can definitely see.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

Nathan Fillion has been my vote all along, I could see him pulling off Hal Jordan quite well. Plus he looks a bit like Hal.

I'd like to see a Green Lantern or Flash movie, Sgt. Rock might be able to be done, but I don't know much about the character. Green Arrow would be interesting but I don't think it would be enough to sustain a full 2 hour movie.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

They don't have the skill or the desire, Chuck. Now is not the time for a Captain America movie, unless they set it in the 1940s (which would be kind of cool, by the way).

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, but by only setting it in the 1940's, you kind of lose what makes Captain America interesting to me. He's a man out of time. He should either be really old, or even dead, but he's not. I think the movie could be very political and make some pretty good observations by contrasting the ever-idealistic Cap with modern America. I think it could be one of those rare cases where a comic book movie could transcend into something more than a pure popcorn flick.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I always assumed the first act would be set (totally set) in the 40's. The next two acts woul dbe modern day. Making the film political would be a hairy road, as Captain America is above politics. He's the ideal. I'd hate to see some drone cram their philosophy into such a pure character. He's not an avatar for political debate.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

Just about any hero, or comic property could transcend into something with meaning, but the problem right now is the people directing, producing, or acting in the super hero movies really does not care, or are really not familiar with what makes the hero so special to the fans, or the occasional reader.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

That's pretty much what I've always pictured a Cap movie being like too.
Also, that's the point I was trying to make. Captain America is loyal to an ideal and a country, not politics or government. That's what we're seeing in Civil War right now.

And you're right, Lenny. All comic movies do have that potential, or else the original material wouldn't be able to resonate even after being in print for 60+ years, as many books have. Anyone know why they don't just get guys that you know, actually work on comics and these characters to at least hammer out a

CoreyII

Second Unit

I can't even begin to describe how great a movie franchise Captain America would make. It would need a minute nip and tuck here and there but nothing too major. I always envisioned the Captain America Films as a six film saga. The first trilogy set in World War II, with the third film ending with him frozen in the ocean. Of course, the second trilogy would be set in modern times.

I could see the first trilogy having a real Indiana Jones sense of action with Cap squaring off against Red Skull, Hitler, and their goose stepping homies.

So far I'm really enjoying Civil War. So far the first two issues are far better than all eight issues of Infinite Crisis and I'm a much bigger fan of DC than Marvel.

Captain America has always come off to me as more of a DC Comics hero than a Marvel hero. I guess it's his optimism, he's not as cynical as Wolverine, Punisher, Daredevil, or even Spidey.

If for some out of this world reason DC ever bought Cap from Marvel (I know it would never happen), I think the character would fit perfectly within the DC Universe.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I don't see why it would be political. Off the top of my head, an easy storyline to run would be something like Cap going off to battle some threat overseas only to find that the bankrollers and the real villains are some fat cat bureaucrats or businessmen back in the U.S. Cap kicks their asses, makes a speech about how America is bigger than a mere government or military-industrial complex and the crowds go home happy - Americans are happy because Cap kicks ass and foreigners go home happy because nothing in the story contradicts their basic perception of U.S. policies, and yet none of it would be explicitly political or contradict the character's non-commital nature :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Keeping in mind that what I wrote was very vague, not really (I probably wasn't clear enough that I'm thinking more in terms of over-the-top obviously corrupt, individually-motivated villains, not necessarily tied to actual U.S. institutions) and stuff like that is fairly typical for the Captain America comics, which are frequently burdened with having to distinguish Cap's ideals from whatever the government is saying at the time. I'm certainly not suggesting anything on the order of, say, "Figure strongly implied to be Nixon blows own brains out to evade capture" (I'm a little surprised the Nixon family hasn't explored lawsuit options against Marvel for that one. Maybe old comics are too far under their radar).

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think a Captain America movie would do much business outside the U.S., these days.... So, it won't be done anytime soon.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, maybe they can film two versions at the same time. One as Captain America and the other as Captain Global or something. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks